1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Open cloze

Discussion in 'English Only' started by majlo, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just did an exercise, an open cloze. Unfortunately the textbook doesn't provide answers. Could you help me with it? To make it more interesting, I'll give my answers after a few replies have appeared. :)

Europe has always had its differences. At the moment, as politicians are trying to agree (0)…………… monetary union, EU funding and social policy, we ignore other things – the things that matter.

Think of food, kissing or dress sense. Think of (1)…………… people in different countries speak on the telephone. The Russian translation of “Good morning. My name is James Brown. Would you be (2)…………….. kind as to put me through to Mr Ivanov?” is just a shout: “Ivanovaaaa!”

Sense of humour changes a great (3)……………. from country to country. What is funny in one place (4)………………….. be rude in another. The same can be (5)………………. for gestures: what is acceptable in an Italian taverna (snapping your fingers to call the waiter’s attention, for example) can (6)……………… a fight in an Irish restaurant. In some countries – Poland, Russia and, up to a point, Britain – the art of queuing means people (7)……………. straight lines; in others like Greece (8)……………….. Portugal, queues take a more artistic shape.

All (9)…………….unfortunately goes almost unreported. Journalists, when they write books, tend to write (10)…………….. historic events. However, sometimes scholars go (11)……………. journalists dare not. Peter Collett, a psychologist at Oxford University, has written a guide (12)………….. European manners. Using history (13)………….explain cultural differences, he covers queuing, humour, cleanliness and yes and no gestures. The chapter (14)………….. hand signals is frightening; after you have read it, you will keep your hands firmly in your pockets (15)………………. abroad.

2. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    Sorry mate! I really want to see you have a go before I do your homework for you!

3. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    Nice try friend, homework by committee. :)

4. I'm sorry you didn't trust me. I AM NOT A LIAR, and if I say I had done the exercise, it is true. I'm really sorry.
    FYI, it is not homework. It's just one of those exercises I do every day in order to be prepared for final Practical English Language Course exam. Anyway, you know better.
    Thx!

5. Luccent Junior Member

Istanbul, Turkey
    English and Welsh, Wales
    Ok - what you need to do is put your answers on the thread and then we'll check them and point you in the right direction.
    :)

6. You just don't get it. I want see how this exercise will be done by native speakers and if my answers will coincide with theirs.

7. Luccent Junior Member

Istanbul, Turkey
    English and Welsh, Wales
    Er - I didn't read the first post closely Ooops.

Most of the spaces have to be specific words or it won't make any sense (3) for instance must be "deal". So there's no point me telling you what they are, because everyone will say the same thing.

Where there is variation:
    (4) is "can" rather than "could" because the writer isn't using the conditional tense although you could use either word.
    (6) create, cause, start, instigate, spark off - any number of words is appropriate.
    (9) I have no idea what would go there. Hmmm.
    (15) is "when" or "while"

8. Luccent, try all the gaps. :)
    Would anyone like to join the discussion? :)

9. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    USA/English
    1) What on God's green earth is an "open cloze"?

2) In the learning spirit of the forums, whether this is assigned homework or not, I do not think you should post extended exercises without providing your answers to them first.

10. It's a kind of exercise in which some words had been taken out and one has to decide on the words.
    I don't think so. But I respect your opinion.

11. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Sorry, but this just doesn't feel like it belongs here, at least in its current form.

We ask for one single topic per thread. This exercise is all over the map.

We require that student work be done and presented by the student, in advance of requests for help. Majlo has been a good member of this forum, but that doesn't change the forum rules.

If you wish to continue with this exercise, start a thread for a specific sentence, such as...

Tell us what you think are reasonable answers, which you prefer, and why. Then ask for comments and suggestions.

For example...

What is funny in one place tends to/may/can/at times will be rude in another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.