1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

opening a soda bottle which has been shaken and it explodes

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil Senior Member

Pariisi
    kiina
    How would you describe a such a situation where I open a bottle of some drink ("julmust" to be exact) which contains gas, and it "explodes"?

Minä avaan pullo julmust, ja se räjähtyy, koska se ravistettiin. (?)

2. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Hi EVOO,

You don't need to include "minä" here unless you're emphasizing that it's you who are opening the bottle, not someone else.

Remember that if you have a bottle of something (or a bag of something, or a box of something, etc.), that "something" appears in the partitive (julmustia).

(I'm not sure if "Julmustia" is the most common partitive form of Julmust, but I haven't been able to find a better option yet.)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    We don't say räjähtää here, instead I'd say kuohahtaa, purskahtaa, pärskähtää etc.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  4. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    I found several examples of "pullo räjähti" online, where pullo is a soda pop bottle or similar. Would räjähtää be appropriate if, for example, the pressure was so strong that the bottle cap popped off and flew into the air?

(Admittedly, this probably isn't the kind of situation EVOO was thinking of.)

Also, sorry for the vowel harmony mistake (ravistetty).

5. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    In spoken language you can hear "pullo räjähti" or even "ihminen räjähti" (raivostui, got mad) but only in a figurative way.

Fact: "Räjähdys (detonaatio) on nopea kemiallinen reaktio, jossa vapautuu suuri määrä lämpö- ja liike-energiaa. Periaatteessa kyseessä on erittäin nopea palamisreaktio." (Wikipedia)

[Don't worry about the vowel harmony – even native Finnish speakers make this kind of mistakes.]