Opera inedita

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Delyla, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Delyla Junior Member

Italiano
    Hi everybody!
    I'm writing about an art exhibition and I have to tell that some of the paintings have never been shown before in public.
    So, how would you translate "opera inedita" in this case?

Thank you!

2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Come si effettua una ricerca nel forum?

http://www.wordreference.com/iten/inedito

autori inediti in Europa
    brano inedito
    Gli archivi del museo conservano molti disegni inediti

Tu come lo tradurresti?

3. Delyla Junior Member

Italiano
    Ok, thank you Paul. I think "Inedited" is the right word! Sorry, I looked for "inedito" and "inedita" and the results didn't match with what I was looking for. I had to try with "Inediti" too!
    Thanks!

4. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    I consider myself a reasonably well educated person and I have never heard of the word "inedited" before - perhaps this is an AE/BE difference because in BE we would say "unedited" or "unpublished". Delyia, is this just a title, or is there a whole phrase to be translated? "Previously unshown paintings" is the phrase that springs to mind.

5. Delyla Junior Member

Italiano
    Thanks Elfa! Well, I have to translate the title of the exhibition "XXX, Quadri, opere monumentali, disegni ed inediti". I sow "inedited" in ​http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1455018

6. Delyla Junior Member

Italiano
    Is it right to use "unedited" or "unpublished" talking about a paintings? Aren't they more appropiated about books?:confused:

7. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    No, it isn't correct to talk about "unedited" or "unpublished" when talking about paintings - but the WR reference for "inedited" talks about "libro" as the reference.

I would translate your title as

XXX: Paintings, larger works, drawings/sketches and previously unshown works.

See here for examples of "previously unshown" when referring to works of art.

8. Delyla Junior Member

Italiano
    Thank you Elfa!