1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

operate a cash register

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Singinswtt11, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Singinswtt11

Singinswtt11 Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    English since birth, Spanish shortly thereafter
    Hello!

So I'm sure you're all familiar with the practice of making resumes. Can anyone think of a more eloquent way of writing "Operate a cash register" as one of the duties performed in a certain position?

Thanks!

2. Davidvs91 Senior Member

English - American
    "Consumated sales transactions with customers"

3. Singinswtt11

Bay Area, California
    Oh.. wow. Above and beyond what I was expecting. Do you think Completed would work instead of consumated? That makes it sound too biblical for my taste.

4. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    This could mean anything from being a salesman on the floor to wrapping the purchase.

Singinswtt, don't be overly eager to be "eloquent" in a resume. There's nothing that a prospective employer hates more than reading a resume that tries too hard to impress or that generalizes or worse, obfuscates.

If the cash register was an old, manual cash register, just say "operate a cash register". If it was a computerized model, say so. At least the employer won't be left scratching his/her head wondering whether you can operate the till or not.

5. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    [rant]Honestly? I think that any employer would look at "completed/consumated sales transactions with customers" and laugh at the applicant behind his (or her) back. It's fine to look for concise and elegant phrasing, but a "waste disposal field agent" is still a garbage collector.[/rant]

I see nothing wrong with "department store cashier", for example.

6. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    That was my first inclination, NT. Thank you for doing it for me!;)

7. Davidvs91 Senior Member

English - American
    Upon reflection, I would have to agree with Dimcl and NunT. Although I would say that when we look at resumes in my office, we typically are impressed when someone comes up with a fanciful term for a task.

8. Waylink Senior Member

English (British)
    How about:

Responsible for handling cash transactions.

Entrusted with responsibility for handling cash transactions with customers.

Come to think of it, "Operate a cash register" is entirely the wrong emphasis.

Depending on the job being applied for, it's not the skill of operating the machine that should be emphasised, rather things like:

--- customer service orientation;

--- client-facing skills;

--- ability to work under pressure in a client-facing role with responsibility for fast and accurate transactions;

--- remains cheerful and businesslike even when customers are uncooperative or impatient.

--- confidently handles transactions with customers, including refunds and credit card authorizations;

--- track record of successfully offering additional goods and services (like extended warranty scams/schemes);

9. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    The Oxford English Dictionary does not recognize the verb consumate, and I haven't heard it either.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  10. Singinswtt11

Bay Area, California
    Thank you all for your wonderful, albeit it gruff, input. I'm not trying to lie on a resume or make it so flowery that the employer has no idea what I'm trying to say. I'm helping someone out and they simply said "Operate a cash register." I guess I should have been more clear in my original post and asked if there was not only another way to say THAT but what other things could be added because I don't know how to work a cash register.

And thank you Waylink for the "sales transactions" idea.

SOO everyone how does "Responsible for handling sales transactions on a computerized register."

Sound?

Is computerized the right word?

11. pepperfire Senior Member

Canada - English & French
    As an employer who regularly reads resumes, I would tend to agree that fancy language would get noticed, but if I were simply looking for a cashier. I would need to know that one of their skills included the ability to work with and operate an electronic/computerized cash register. (depending on the sort of cash register, one might want to specify.).

Some of them are quite complicated. That ability in and of itself can be an asset.

12. Singinswtt11

Bay Area, California
    Thank you, merci, תודה

(Is that Hebrew for Thank you, Nun?)

13. Singinswtt11

Bay Area, California
    All of the answers were helpful regardless of how close they followed my original post therefore thank you to you all for not only answering my question but furthering my knowledge of the craft that is Resume Drafting.

Now please, enjoy, on me. ;)

14. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    That is completely meaningless, blurring several possible roles.

A lot of the comments in this thread appear to me as pretentious waffle that would go straight to the bin.

You should find a way to describe the role that does not focus on the mechanical aspects - the operation of the cash register. You should also avoid the more obvious cliché phrases, such as those that Waylink (sorry Waylink) suggested.

I think that any checkout operator (UK term) worth considering for a more complex role would be able to expand on that function in a way that intrigued the prospective employer.