1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Ophtalmic technologist / Eye care practitioner

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by RBO, Jun 4, 2013.

1. RBO New Member

Español España
    Hello:
    I would really thank you if you could help me with the translation of the following text into Spanish:
    "Ophthalmic technologists provide the services in the ten new secondary clinics. These eye care practitioners were already working .... Their availability, experience, and existing refraction skills made them the ideal group to train for this task"
    This text refers to medical human resources in Sri Lanka, where a new program for low vision care has been developed.
    Should I translate Ophthalmic technologist as técnico en oftalmología o as Optico?
    Which is the translation into Spanish of "eye care practiotioners"? My first option is médico oftalmólogo u ofalmólogo, but the following sentence ("Their availability, experience, and existing refraction skills made them the ideal group to train for this task)
    makes me think that they could be "ópticos", not medical doctors.

Thanks in advance.
    Raquel Balaguer Ortiz

2. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hola:

Technician = técnico
    Technologist = tecnólogo
    El segundo tiene mayor capacitación que el primero.

Practitioner = profesional.
    En medicina, "practitioner" no solo es el médico, sino todo profesional (enfermera, tecnólogo, terapista, etc.)

Saludos.

3. Hungerideas Junior Member

Peru Spanish
    Ophthalmic technologist: Optómetra en mi país, se encargan de tomar la medida de la visión y ven patologías del ojo a un nivel técnico, primario, básico, no son médicos. Un oftálmologo es un médico que ha hecho la especialidad.