opposite of "I picked my friend up from the airport."

Discussion in 'English Only' started by drei_lengua, Aug 3, 2007.

1. drei_lengua

drei_lengua Senior Member

Hello everyone,

What is the opposite of "I picked my friend up from the airport."? I'm trying to see if there are any possible regionalisms.

Thanks in advance,

Drei

2. setantaclaus Junior Member

English, Ireland
    Perhaps, "I dropped my friend off at the airport."

3. Manorrd Junior Member

Mandelieu, France
    English/Canada
    I left my friends stranded at the airport?

4. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Hahaha. Opposite:
    "I dropped my enemy off at the subway station."

5. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    The opposite is "I didn't pick my friend up at the airport."

I think what you are looking for, though, is "I dropped my friend off at the airport."

6. drei_lengua

drei_lengua Senior Member

Thanks everyone. I left it vague on purpose so that I wouldn't bias the answers in any way.

I really enjoyed the responses, especially the comical ones.That so aligns with my humor too. :D:thumbsup:

What I was looking for was that the opposite (in this case) of "to pick up" is "to drop off". English is a second language to my in-laws. They kept using "drop" instead of "drop off" in this case. They would say "I dropped my friend." instead of "I dropped off my friend." I corrected them on this. However, recently, I have seen 2 cases of "I dropped my friend..." withouth the preposition. They asked about this and I told them that I still vote for "to drop off".

Drei

7. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

"I dropped my friend at the airport" sounds like you were carrying your friend in your arms through the airport and he slipped from your grasp. :)

That said, I've heard it before, especially if part of a longer sentence. "What a busy morning! I fixed breakfast for the kids, took them to school, picked up my friend and dropped him at the airport, and did a 1-hour Pilates class at the gym on the way back. It's not even noon yet and I'm exhausted!"

8. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    In BE you can certainly say "Can I drop you at the station?" In fact, now I come to think of it, the off would not be added until the passenger was already in the car: "Alright if I drop you off here?"
    To drop off is also to fall asleep.

9. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    In AE, one could also say "can you drop me at the station?" I think the distinction (at least for me) is that "to drop someone [at a location]" means that one is merely passing by or near the location, and the stop ade for the passenger is momentary, and not the main purpose of the trip. If, however, I were a bus dispactcher, giving directions to a driver, I would certainly say "When you drop off your last passenger, come back to the garage", and not "When you drop your last passenger..."