opposite to instructor

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Nadds, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Nadds Junior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spain Spanish
    Hi!
    Do you know if the word "instructee" exists?
    instructor is the person who instructs, so who receives the instruction?
    Also, what does instructorship mean?

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Instructor and student is my first thought -- but what is the context: the industry or arena or application?

3. mtmjr

mtmjr Senior Member

California/Ohio (US)
    English (US)
    Is there a sentence you're working with, or any context? I would wager that most English speakers would understand "instructee" to mean "someone who is being instructed" but that does not make it an official word. In an informal context, yes, you probably could use it. Otherwise, as Copyright suggests, "student" would be most common.

As for "instructorship", I would really need context. It would seem to me that "instruction" would most likely be used in any situation where you might want to use "instructorship".

The student was under the instruction of the world's greatest chess master.

4. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    Instructorship is the role or appointment of an instructor. A qualified instructor could be appointed to a position as an instructor, or appointed to an instructorship. This development of nouns is common - member -> membership, friend -> friendship, craftsman -> craftsmanship, apprentice -> apprenticeship.

In many settings instructors train trainees, but not instructees. I would expect teachers to teach students, but there is much overlap between student, trainee and learner.

For example, a driving instructor in BE teaches learner drivers or learners, not student drivers. The youngsters being taught by instructors to be motor mechanics through an apprenticeship are trainees (although on the one day each week that they go to college they are probably called students and taught by lecturers).

5. Nadds Junior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spain Spanish
    Thanks all for your help!
    The thing is, there is no context, I'm working on an exercise on word families tests and I have a scheme in which I have to fill the gaps with this derivate word.

6. strad Senior Member

Singapore
    English (American)
    We don't use the word trainee very much on the other side of the Atlantic (I don't think I had ever used it before moving to Europe). In most cases we would replace trainee with intern or student (depending on whether it is an educational or work environment).