Oto słownik polskiej wsi w pigułce

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by preciosarosa123, May 23, 2013.

1. preciosarosa123 New Member

English
    "Oto słownik polskiej wsi w pigułce."
    "Pigułka" is pill, but what does is mean in this context? It seems to be referring to photos.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2013
  2. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Hello and welcome,

The sentence means: 'This is a dictionary of the Polish countryside in a nutshell.'

Is this any help?

3. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I think it would be equivalent to an "extract", here. (concentrated, a dose of immediate knowledge)

4. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Actually, Thomas is spot-on with translating it as 'in a nutshell'. In English, we speak of giving facts in 'a nutshell', and in Polish we talk about giving facts concentrated in 'a pill', where both 'a nutshell' and 'a pill' are small, for lack of a better word, containers. You could also say, I think, 'an abridged dictionary of the Polish countryside'.

5. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    You can choose whichever word you find right in English -- it means concentrated. ;)

6. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    That it means 'concetrated' is obvious. My previous post was just to show that 'in a nutshell' is probably the best translation here, because it resembles the Polish phrase 'w pigułce' both in meaning and form.

7. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I think the OP is an English-speaking person, so it may not be as obvious to him. ;) "In a nutshell" might be good but there are many other possibilities as well.

8. zapedowski Junior Member

Polish
    W pigułce is literally in a pill. Idiomatically it means in short.