1. Ersin Arısoy New Member

Turkey, Turkish
    What is the meaning of "otredad" in English?

2. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    Hello, Ersin, and welcome to the forum.

Without any context, such as the original sentence where you saw the word, I'm going to guess that it would be "otherness" in English.

3. Badcell

Badcell Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spain- Spanish
    Hi Ersin!
    It means otherness, the quality of being different
    Otro=other

Cheers!

4. libre

libre Senior Member

Mexico, Spanish
    Ersin:

Could you give us more information?

Would you please tell us more of the context where you found this word?

thanks!!

5. libre

libre Senior Member

Mexico, Spanish
    Well, forget it Ersin, Badcell already gave you the meaning, I don't know if that word is common, but at least in México it's not.

6. Ersin Arısoy New Member

Turkey, Turkish
    The phrase that I want to translate in my native language is "En efecto, la mujer, por cuanto sabemos, es la otredad absoluta". I could not find the meaning of otredad in any dictionary, for this reason I am in the need of your help:

7. Badcell

Badcell Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spain- Spanish
    Mi intento:
    "In effect, for what we know, woman is the absolute otherness"
    Cheers!

8. libre

libre Senior Member

Mexico, Spanish
    I agree!

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Ersin Arısoy New Member

Turkey, Turkish
    My problem has been solved. I thank to all of you who have given a great help to me im my translation.

Cheers

10. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member

Nassau County, NY
    USA - English
    What follows in no way lessens the importance of the contributions of the foreros of this thread. Otredad is the Spanish equivalent of the word othering. It is a philosophical, anthopolgical, and psycholgical concept that nobody would be familiar with except a philosopher, an anthropologist, or a psychologist.

The practice of comparing ourselves to others and AT THE SAME TIME DISTANCING ourselves from them is called OTHERING, by which one declares that humans and societies whose life and historical experiences vary from one's own are ‘different’ and not understandable; it involves the use of distance and difference to re-confirm one’s own identity.

Othering is a way of defining and securing one’s own positive identity through the stigmatization of an "other." Whatever the markers of social differentiation that shape the meaning of "us" and "them," whether they are racial, geographic, ethnic, economic or ideological, there is always the danger that they will become the basis for a self-affirmation that depends upon the denigration of the other group.

Otherness is a condition, a state of being. Othering (note the ing form of the verb) is a process.

11. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    Fascinating, Eddie. I think many of us have learned a little psychology today.

However, given the (albeit spare) context provided by Ersin, it appears to me that "otherness" is a better translation in this context than "othering."

Perhaps, if we had a larger section of the original text, we might read about a man who is othering women by painting them as an incomprehensible opposite to men. (Did I use it correctly?) :)

12. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member

Nassau County, NY
    USA - English
    Yes, Fenixpollo!

I believe your rendering is perfect!

13. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English
  14. Badcell

Badcell Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spain- Spanish
    Hi all. I find this quite interesting. I've never heard the word othering, Eddie. I understand from your post that othering is the act of considering oneself apart from the rest. Sounds like a way of despising, of disdaining those which are different (the other sex, people from other countries...) I'm I right?
    However, I believe that the sentence that Esrin proposed refers to the idea of woman being "the other" (as stated by Simone de Beauvoir). Thus (for a man) woman is absolute otherness, something he can not understand nor recognize himself in it. But in this case the distance does not necessarily mean disdain, only...distance, difference.
    I hope I made myself clear. Pardon my English :)
    Cheers!

15. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English
  16. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member

Nassau County, NY
    USA - English
    There's nothing wrong with your English, Badcell. In the context of the original sentence, I tend to agree with you and Edwin. Surprisingly enough, I've discovered even more shades of meaning:

diversity (pluralism) - as in education
    alienation, etc.

17. Chaucer Senior Member

US inglés/español
    Correcto:

othering = sust. Otrificación.
    otrificarse = volverse otro, alienarse
    otrificar = volverlo otro a alguien

otredad = otherness

Some people do get annoyed when someone is othering them.
    Algunas personas sí se molestan cuando alguien los otrifica.