Out-of-the-box thinker, box-thinker'

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, May 12, 2010.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I was reminded of 'out of the box thinker' while exploring the "horse glasses" concept. it is about the opposite. Now I had written down the word "hokjesdenken" once, because I liked it. it consists of denken (to think) and hokje, little hok,i.e., a dirty place, I'd say, like a doghouse (hondenhok). - It could be a synonym of box only, when the box is dirty, unpleasant, but the link with out of the box is clear. ;-)

So do you recognize this kind of metaphor in your language, meaning something like 'thinking with blinkers on', or the opposite (out of the box)?

2. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Thomas, the only one we use as opposite to "thinking with thinkers on" is the expression "pull off your blinkers"; in Greek:
    «Βγάλε τις παρωπίδες σου»
    'vɣale tis paro'piðes su
    (the klang association "pa'ropion-->blinker/paro'pis-->woman's mask" still insists)
    Another one is the exhortation to get out of our nest:
    «Bγες απ'τη φωλιά σου»
    vʝes apti fo'ʎa su
    lit. "get out of your nest"

[ɣ] is a voiced velar fricative
    [ʝ] is a voiced palatal fricative
    [ʎ] is a palatal lateral approximant

3. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
    Cantonese:

When we think out of the box, we can say 跳出框框 (jump out of the frame).

4. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Thanks, both of you. I guess there should be more. lateral thinking is different, or isn't it? I also fhought of 'colouring outside the lines' in Dutch (buiten de lijntjes kleuren), but that is more like dissidence, it seems to me.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  5. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    The Swedish expression is att tänka utanför ramarna = to think outside the frames.

6. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    So literal then. We don't know it as such. I really wonder if there are no other metaphors in other languages.

7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I have just been reminded of an expression in German: "um die Ecke denken", thinking around the corner...

8. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog:1.) Out of the box thinker.= labas sa usapan na kaisipan. 2.) box thinker= napapaloob sa usapin/ saklaw sa usapan

9. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Will you please add explanations ???

10. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

labas= outside/ napapaloob= within