Outdoor activities

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Nemes87, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Nemes87 New Member

Hi everybody,

How can I translate in German "outdoor activities"? I translated "Outdoor-Aktivitäten" but I think that this term is more related to those activities performed in the open-air, such as sports, rather than to those activities performed out of the office (and I need to convey the latter meaning!).

Can anybody help me please?

Thank you very much! :)
  2. Kajjo

Kajjo Senior Member

Deutschland (Hamburg)
    Outdoor-Aktivitäten: Recreational activities like sports, hiking, fishing, hunting, geocaching that are done in nature or at least outside the house.

Außendienst: Business activities where you have to leave you office building, maybe translated as something like field work, external work, outside work.

A little bit more context might be necessary to recommend a really good translation.
  3. Nemes87 New Member

With "outdoor activities" I mean business activities performed outside, such as maintenance activities or assistance activities.
    The sentence I have to translate is the following: "X [Name of the company] provides warehouse management software, software for tracking deliveries and software for tracking out-of-office activities".
    My attempt is: "X [Name of the company] bietet Software für die Lagerverwaltung und für die Rückverfolgbarkeit der Auslieferungen und der Außendienste".
  4. manfy Senior Member

German - Austria
    Your translation sounds quite good.
    I'd slightly modify it to:
    "X [Name of the company] bietet Software für die Lagerverwaltung und für die Rückverfolgbarkeit aller Lieferungen und Außendienst-Aktivitäten".

Lieferungen -> includes all incoming and outgoing deliveries, whereas 'Auslieferungen' describes only outgoing shipments.
    Außendienste sounds somewhat strange with reference to 'Lagerverwaltung', so I prefer Außendienst-Aktivitäten or Außendienst-Tätigkeiten.

FYI: other native speakers might prefer the proper writing style 'Außendienstaktivitäten/Außendiensttätigkeiten', but I feel the hyphenation makes the word easier to read (which is usually preferable in otherwise hard to read software manuals/descriptions/advertising materials.)
    Better wait for other opinions on that point!