1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Outdoor activities

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Nemes87, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Nemes87 New Member

Italy
    Italiano
    Hi everybody,

How can I translate in German "outdoor activities"? I translated "Outdoor-Aktivitäten" but I think that this term is more related to those activities performed in the open-air, such as sports, rather than to those activities performed out of the office (and I need to convey the latter meaning!).

Can anybody help me please?

Thank you very much! :)

2. Kajjo

Kajjo Senior Member

Deutschland (Hamburg)
    German/Germany
    Outdoor-Aktivitäten: Recreational activities like sports, hiking, fishing, hunting, geocaching that are done in nature or at least outside the house.

Außendienst: Business activities where you have to leave you office building, maybe translated as something like field work, external work, outside work.

A little bit more context might be necessary to recommend a really good translation.

3. Nemes87 New Member

Italy
    Italiano
    With "outdoor activities" I mean business activities performed outside, such as maintenance activities or assistance activities.
    The sentence I have to translate is the following: "X [Name of the company] provides warehouse management software, software for tracking deliveries and software for tracking out-of-office activities".
    My attempt is: "X [Name of the company] bietet Software für die Lagerverwaltung und für die Rückverfolgbarkeit der Auslieferungen und der Außendienste".

4. manfy Senior Member

Singapore
    German - Austria
    Your translation sounds quite good.
    I'd slightly modify it to:
    "X [Name of the company] bietet Software für die Lagerverwaltung und für die Rückverfolgbarkeit aller Lieferungen und Außendienst-Aktivitäten".

Lieferungen -> includes all incoming and outgoing deliveries, whereas 'Auslieferungen' describes only outgoing shipments.
    Außendienste sounds somewhat strange with reference to 'Lagerverwaltung', so I prefer Außendienst-Aktivitäten or Außendienst-Tätigkeiten.

FYI: other native speakers might prefer the proper writing style 'Außendienstaktivitäten/Außendiensttätigkeiten', but I feel the hyphenation makes the word easier to read (which is usually preferable in otherwise hard to read software manuals/descriptions/advertising materials.)
    Better wait for other opinions on that point!