over bred [overbred]

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by eyePod, Mar 6, 2012.

1. eyePod Senior Member

English - California
    I don't know where to start on this one. How do you say in Spanish "The retreivers were over bred during many years and therefore have some health issues".

2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
  3. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    Well, literally, it would be sobrecriados, which I'm sure doesn't exist. Maybe sobremanipulados? It means that breeders interfered too much in the breeding of retriever dogs and, while they may have achieved some characteristics they wanted, they also caused some inherited problems (usually caused by breeding with dogs that are too closely related - as with humans, this isn't a good idea in the long run).

4. mijoch Senior Member

British English
    "to overbreed" is to allow a bitch to have many pups in a short time without a recuperation period. This is now illegal for pedigree dogs in the UK.

"cria excesiva"

Can somebody put this as a verb/verbal phrase? Someter a cria excesiva------?¿

M.

5. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    That's a different and less common meaning (at least in the US). We say a dog breed is overbred when the pool of breeding dogs is small, so that closely related dogs are repeatedly being bred with each other, resulting in a concentration of genetic defects. It doesn't imply that individual dogs are being bred too frequently.

6. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    Same primary meaning here in the UK as well:).

7. mijoch Senior Member

British English
    I always thought that that is "inbreeding". Another AE/BE difference?

M.

8. ACQM

ACQM forera que modera

Manresa (Barcelona)
    Spain - Spanish
    Los retriever han sido/fueron sometidos a una cría/selección excesiva de la raza durante muchos años de manera que muchos de ellos tienen problemas de salud.

9. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    Yes, "inbreeding" would mean that as well. "Overbreeding" in fact could be ambiguous, but I usually hear it used as a synonym for inbreeding, or for excessive inbreeding. From the context of the original post I think that's what it means in this particular context.

10. eyePod Senior Member

English - California
    ACQM, Thanks for the info. Is 'retreiver' a spanish word? Or used in Spain in the vernacular?

And yes, I think 'inbreeding' would be more accurate. I just tried my hand at the Cambridge CPE and got 92% on the practice test - so I'm barely a proficient speaker of English my native tongue :confused:

11. mijoch Senior Member

British English
    Hi

El Kennel Club intenta frenar la cria excesiva de cachorros con pedigree.

El Kennel Club ha decidido establecer la norma de que cada perra que tenga pedigree reconocido por la organización no podrá criar más de cuatro veces,---

Confusing isn't it? "Overbreeding" seems to have two meanings.

I bet I wouldn't get 92%--------I'm not going to try.

M.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  12. Mate

Mate Senior Member

Argentina
    Castellano - Argentina
    Inbreeding is a very useful practice that was extensively developed by farmers and breeders all over the world for centuries. Most of the breeds we know are the result of inbreeding at one point or another. That goes both for animal and plant breeds.

Overbreeding is, I suppose, something like a careless way of conducting inbreeding, a vicious breeding method that relies excessively on inbreeding.

I don't think we have a Spanish word for that.

¿endogamia excesiva? ¿endogamia exagerada?

There is a word for "retriever" in Spanish: cobrador. We never use it.

13. eyePod Senior Member

English - California
    En México, cuando yo digo 'cobrador' todos piensan que no pagué la luz y me están buscando. Y me corrigen "la palabra es labrador". Pero creo que en el DRAE dice "cobrador". Wow, endogamia no está en WR, pero sí en el DRAE

14. Mate

Mate Senior Member

Argentina
    Castellano - Argentina
    EyePod, no te sorprendas por el hecho de que muchas palabras técnicas no estén en los diccionarios comunes. Hay que buscar en los glosarios (o creerle al veterinario que te escribe en estos momentos ;)).