overview or summary

Discussion in 'English Only' started by gotitadeleche, Apr 20, 2005.

1. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    Is there a difference between an overview and a summary?

2. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    hey gotitadeleche;
    Not that I know of..an overview is a summary..

te gato;)

3. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Overview
    1. A broad, comprehensive view; a survey
    2. A summary or review

Summary
    1. Presenting the substance in a condensed form; concise: a summary review. 2. Performed speedily and without ceremony: summary justice; a summary rejection.
    3. A presentation of the substance of a body of material in a condensed form or by reducing it to its main points; an abstract.

Here is what Dictionary.com says. Pretty similar! But, from my person experiences, a summary tends to be more abbreviated than an overview. (An overview providing slightly more detail.) IMHO

4. vbede772 New Member

New York
    United States--Midwest/Upper South, English
    I agree with Venus. Summaries seem to be shorter, unless emananting from an attorney.

5. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    hey vbede772;
    When I worked for many Lawyers..summaries and overviews were the same thing...but then again that is here..:D

te gato;)

6. vbede772 New Member

New York
    Te Gato,

Well, yes, you're from Canada--and thus a civilized society--big difference down here :)

7. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    Thanks everybody. That is kind of what I thought (that they are the same), but I have some doubts. Could there be an overview of a chapter, or do overviews only apply to whole bodies of work? A friend of mine prompted this question and he asked what about an overview at the beginning of a book and a summary at the end? If they are synonymous then that order could also be reversed, right? (I don't know why you would need both, but I am just trying to find out if there is any difference).

8. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hey vbede772;
    I guess..and we also pronounce them differently as well..:D

te gato;)

9. vbede772 New Member

New York
    gotit,

Now that you mention that, it would seem strange to have a summary at the beginning, but an overview no. Very interesting.