pacifier, soother, comforter, dummy.....

Discussion in 'English Only' started by morgoth2604, Oct 9, 2005.

1. morgoth2604 Senior Member

Japan
    Israel - (Fluent Hebrew and English), Passable French, Horrid German
    Hmm, someone asked me what's the baby word for pacifier, I told her the term I'm familiar with is pacifier, but I'm sure you wouldn't say "do you want your pacifier" to a toddler....any ideas?

2. whatonearth Senior Member

UK, English
    "pacifier" is the AE term for "dummy" (BE). A dummy/pacifier is a small plastic teet-shaped thing that babies suck when they are teething.

3. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Oh, there are many. It's family-specific in the US.
    Nukky-from a brand name; unfortunately, this is also a silly nickname for sex; binky-although some people use that for blanket; dummy-but this can also be an epithet for "stupid"; passy-spelling it paccy looks funny.

4. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Kelly: Yes, I was just about to say the exact same thing.

In the US, it varies by family. I suppose it's whatever the baby can pronounce. :D

I've heard passy, nuky/nookie, nuk-nuk.

5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I thought this thread was about the Colt 45.
    I have never heard of these objects being called pacifiers.
    Around here the word used is dummy - and very often do-do.

6. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    A neighbor. long ago, had a nanny from an unnamed country. Said nanny was determined to master English. She refused to use baby talk with the neighbor's child, who thus was offered the object this way: Would Edward like his rubber nipple now?

7. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    You sure you weren't thinking of "equalizer?" Oh wait, it just came to me-- the Peacemaker. And I'm sitting here explaining a bit of your wordplay.

Never mind.

Yes, pacifier is very well-established in AE, it's the default term. Why in the hell can't people just let their babies cry themselves out now and then? It's like getting the RPMs up and blasting the crud out of their cylinders.

8. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Sufficient doses of Colt 45 have been known to pacify, stultify, or enrage.

9. morgoth2604 Senior Member

Japan
    Israel - (Fluent Hebrew and English), Passable French, Horrid German
    Ahh righto! Thank you all for your replies. So basically to sum it up, in the US it varies from family to family, but in Britain it's mostly dummy.

Thanks again!

10. rafaelgan Senior Member

U.S.A
    Spanish
  11. Ecossaise Senior Member

English
    "pacifier" or "dummy"

12. Football Taxis

Football Taxis Senior Member

Oxford, OH
    Midwestern American English
    pacifier is a generic American term, whereas dummy is British, and soother is Canadian. there are gobs of nicknames for it--binkey, numnum, etc etc etc....

13. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    We also call it a "sucker" in AE.

AngelEyes

14. Song Sprite Senior Member

English, Canada
    Hey all,

There seem to be many words for this object! What do you call it in your corner of the globe?

Around here (Abbotsford, BC, Canada) we call it a 'soother' if it's shaped like a nipple, or a teething ring if it's ring-shaped... I think my grandmother calls it a pacifier, is that representative of southern BE?

15. Siberia

Siberia Senior Member

UK-Wales - English
    I call it a dummy - SW UK.

16. Shauneyzboyz

Shauneyzboyz Senior Member

Albany, NY
    English
    We commonly use "pacifier," though I recall hearing "sucker" at some point in my life. -- Northeastern U.S. (New York)

17. SweetBird Junior Member

USA english
    Binky (brand name owned by Playtex) is nearly synonymous with pacifier in the US now. Midwest USA

18. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    It's only called a "dummy" in BE (except for the random few)

19. Song Sprite Senior Member

English, Canada
    Do you mean that Britain is the only place it's called a dummy, or that British people never call it anything other than a dummy?

20. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    British people don't call it anything other than a dummy.

(as I said, usually when I make comments like these, a pedantic user will post that they are British and use something else, when they know fully that 99.9999% people call it a dummy)

99 people out of 100 I can say with confidence call it a dummy, probably more.

21. Orange Blossom Senior Member

U.S.A. English
    We called it a (I don't know how to spell this.) tootcher. The u sounds like the oo in foot. I think it is a low German word, or an Anglicised low German word. I heard someone else call it a boober. I've also heard "dry cow".

Pacifier is the generic term that I am familiar with.

Orange Blossom

22. TheAmzngTwinWndr

TheAmzngTwinWndr Senior Member

California, USA
    United States
    When I was little I called it a choochie.