Packaging

Discussion in 'Computers/IT/Informática' started by colombo-aussie, Jan 29, 2013.

1. colombo-aussie

colombo-aussie Senior Member

Australia
    Spanish - Colombian
    Hi,

Does anyone knows what does "packaging" mean here?

To migrate from XP to the Windows 7 platform, all SKM software has undergone compatibility testing, followed by packaging for automatic deployment to the global workforce. With over 4000 applications and versions in use across the business, rationalisation and version upgrade have been necessary, including CAD applications.

If you don't know the traslation but have an explanation, it'll be also okay.

Thanks?

2. Spanish Clutz

Spanish Clutz Senior Member

¡Hola C-A!

My husband is a computer programmer, (and I'm afraid that computer jargon is yet another language that I am a 'Clutz' with), but this is my best attempt at "translating" his words to English.

I believe that packaging refers to the process of 'wrapping' many specialized features together (written programs, procedures, associated documentation...) so that they enable the software to be 'user friendly'.

However, please wait for more responses on this one.

I found a website titled How Does Software Packaging Work that might be useful to you. It's written for customers who want to customize software packages, whereas I believe in your context the intent is that this 'packaging' has already occurred...

"With over 4000 applications and versions in use across the business, rationalisation and version upgrade have been necessary, including CAD applications."

http://www.ehow.com/about_6658751_software-packaging-work_.html

Buena suerte.

3. colombo-aussie

Australia
    Spanish - Colombian
    Hi S-C,

IT jargon is not my cup of tea either, so when it comes to translate It documents I also consider myself a very clutzy person.

Thanks to you and your husban for shedding some light on this, it gave me a hint to come up with some ideas in Spanish.

Thanks again for all your help,

C-A

4. lmgutie Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    "packaging" here means the software piece is delivered or prepared to be used by distribution software, which generally requires that it follows some specifications different to those use for manual installation; for example, the package might be a MSI file instead of an EXE file; and it might run silently as opposed to interactively. I would translate "packaging" as "empaquetado". Luis

5. colombo-aussie

Australia
    Spanish - Colombian
    Imgutie, muchisimas gracias por tu explicación y sugerencia de traducción, realmente lo aprecio mucho.

Saludos!!