1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Packing or packaging?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Nurzik, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Nurzik Junior Member

Kyrgyzstan, Russian
    Hi,

What is the difference between packing and packaging?

Are they interchangeable?

When and where are they used?

thanks in advance

2. Moogey Senior Member

New Jersey, USA
    USA English
    When used as verbs, they're almost identical. After writing my sentences below, I realized that packaging implies that you're creating a package. When used as nouns, "packaging" probably sounds better. Some sentences:

- He was packing the device into the box when she called
    - He was packaging the device when she called (into the box is assumed!)
    - The package arrived at my doorstep this morning.

I can't use "packing" as a noun in a sentence. I have just forgotten the meaning of the words after using them so much making this post :eek: Sorry!

-M

3. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    "packaging" always strikes me as the stuff put inside a box to prevent damage to the contents.
    This may be because when I was young there was no packaging - things arrived in "a box" or "a bag" and that was it. Then the supermarkets arrived and goods began to be "packaged" and there was a monstrous rise in household waste.

"packing" sounds more industrial - goods being shipped in packing crates, etc.

4. Sallyb36

Sallyb36 Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    British UK
    packing is what you do to go on holiday and packaging is what things come wrapped up in.

5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Stuff stuffed into a confined space, for example to make something airtight or watertight, is packing. Packaging could not be used in this context.

6. Sallyb36

Sallyb36 Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    British UK
    which fits in with what you do to go on holiday panjandrum, stuff stuffed into a confined space!

7. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Indeed - but my packing is a noun. I stuff the packing into the narrow gaps in the roof to stop the rain coming in.

8. Sallyb36

Sallyb36 Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    British UK
    Indeed it is.

9. jediracer Junior Member

English, USA
    packing is what is inside the packaging

10. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Connecticut
    US-English
    From thefreedictionary.com:

11. A90Six Senior Member

London
    England - English.
    I agree with these. Packaging is the ampule, the vial, the bottle, the drum, the box, the bag, etc. Packing is the material used to stop things in the package from moving around and to provide added protection (the filler).