Paese che vai, usanza che trovi

Discussione in 'Italian-English' iniziata da inis_fail, 19 Giugno 2009.

1. inis_fail New Member

Córdoba, Spain
    Buon pomeriggio!
    Nonostante sia una assidua frequentatrice del sito, non ho mai fatto una domanda (siete troppo bravi!:)), ma oggi proprio non riesco a trovare una soluzione!
    Come si dice in inglese:
    "Paese che vai, usanza che trovi?"

My attempt:
    "You can tell a Country by its traditions"

Ho trovato anche "When in Rome, do as Romans do", ma non mi sembra particolarmente adatta.

Grazie in anticipo e a presto!
  2. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Canada, English
    When in Rome... means you should adapt yourself to the customs of the country you're in.
    Paese che vai, usanza che trovi
    I'm not sure I understand completely, and please correct me, but I'd say
    Every country has its own customs.
    Everywhere you travel you find something new.
    But neither of these are common expressions.
  3. inis_fail New Member

Córdoba, Spain
    I like the two last expressions, but I was searching for a common one. So I think that "When in Rome..." could fit! I thought that it had a different meaning, instead it's the same!
    Thank you!
  4. freakqnc New Member

No exactly, I don't know if there is an equivalent in English, but the translation should mean more something about the fact that no matter where you go you will find similar customs.

So something that literally translated would be:
    "[No matter the] Country you [will] go, [a common] custom you [will] find"

It means that no matter where you will go you will find something that is familiar or in common. That can also be applied to several events, not just countries... for instance if you have ever been in a cheap store where they have no consideration for customers and, for whatever reason, you'll find yourself in another cheap store where the exact same happen, but it's a different store, within the same city of a different one, then you can apply the above saying to your current situation because "[No matter the] Store you [will] go, [a common] (BAD) custom you [will] find" ;)

No it's not the same as "When in Rome..." saying. That simply means that one should adapt to a country's customs, while the "Paese che vai..." has no indication of that would hint to "do as romans do" :)

I hope this will give you enough insight into the Italian saying to match the proper English one.
  5. Akire72

Akire72 Senior Member

Florence, Italy
    Italian - Italy
    Sorry, but it means exactly the opposite in my opinion. It means that every country has its own customs and traditions that you cannot change, so either you like it or leave it! So "when in Rome do as Romans do" is the most suitable translation. You cannot think of going to some other country and expect others to have your same customs or force the native into your traditions, you have to accept theirs. This is the meaning of the Italian proverb.
  6. MStraf

MStraf Senior Member

I agree with rrose (at least this time...) "When in Rome..." means that we should adapt to the local customs, while "paese che vai..." just means that every country has its own customs, not necessary that we have to adopt them.

See for example here:

THE ITALIAN proverb ‘Paese che vai, usanza che trovi’, faithfully mistranslated in standard bilingual dictionaries as ‘When in Rome do as the Romans do’, stops short of offering potentially perilous advice but states simply that travellers will encounter different customs in different places.
  7. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Canada, English
    Well at the risk of having Mstraf agree with me (again) what do we think of
    "To each his own"? This is what you'd say to your travelling companion when you turn a corner in a strange place and see people doing something in a strange way.
  8. GavinW Senior Member

British English
    Different folks, different strokes.
    (This works some of the time, too.)
  9. CPA Senior Member

British English/Italian - bilingual
    Nice one, though I'd never heard of it! :)
  10. GavinW Senior Member

British English
    I think it's more AE than BE, but it's sort of entered BE too (there was also a US sitcom "Different Strokes", based on African Americans, I believe...)

EDIT: There's also "Different cultures,...", ie a deliberately truncated reference to an understood proverbial statement to this effect. Something like it is said by Michael Caine (to his pal Sean Connery) in the film "The Man Who Would Be King" (I don't remember what Kipling had his character say in the eponymous short story). A variant of this, I think, is "Different races,..."
  11. CPA Senior Member

British English/Italian - bilingual
    Thanks. Been away too long! :D
  12. maria vecchi

maria vecchi Senior Member

this is question for database administrators, I think:
    wouldn't it be possible to link this thread to ? Make them one thread? It's the same phrase...
    Or I have missed something, in case I apologize.
    Thank you.

Condividi questa Pagina