pampas argentinas

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by langere, Oct 11, 2011.

1. langere Junior Member

Alexandria, VA
    United States English
    Se podria decir que la pampa argentina es una forma de pradera? "Pradera" no es una palabra que uso mucho, asi que me ha quedado la duda.

Muchas gracias de antemano por sus respuestas!

Erick

2. lenni22 Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    La pampa es una región geográfica. Es una llanura con tierras fértiles y mayormente explotadas para la agricultura.
    Pradera... mmm... sí, se podría decir que sí.

3. Sunshine on Leith Senior Member

Edinburgh
    Spain's Spanish
    I think you could call it the Argentinian plains.

4. albertovidal

albertovidal Senior Member

Bs.As.-Argentina
    Castellano, Argentina
    Argentine Pampas is ok

5. Sunshine on Leith Senior Member

Edinburgh
    Spain's Spanish
    National pride seems to be overwhelming you, Alberto! :)

But the title sentence would imply: Are the Argentinian pampas some sort of plains?

6. lenni22 Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    No entiendo donde está el orgullo nacional de Alberto. Creo que el muchacho estaba dando otra alternativa nomás.

Y por cierto, "pradera" no significa "plains", implica un tipo de vegetación además de una llanura. Por lo tanto, no creo que hayas contestado la pregunta original. :)

7. Sunshine on Leith Senior Member

Edinburgh
    Spain's Spanish
    Well, I meant that Alberto, being Argentinian, would like to keep the 'pampas' word. But the OP's question would not make sense if it read: Are the Argentinian pampas some sort of pampas?

A prairie, implies lots of grass vegetation, and as another Argentinian has explained, it is also agricultural land.

Some google references here:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...1T4ADFA_enGB404GB404&q=the+argentinian+plains

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  8. Sunshine on Leith Senior Member

Edinburgh
    Spain's Spanish
    Sorry, the argentinian that implied the agricultural land thing was you, silly me!

9. lenni22 Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    As you insist on writing in English, I'll answer in English, even though the original question was in Spanish, which is your native language, I understand. :)

And I believe that the "other Argentinian" you refer to is myself, who first replied in this thread. :rolleyes:

I think that Erick asked if the Argentinian Pampas were some sort of "pradera". I understand the original post as a demand to explain what the Argentinian Pampas are, or what a pradera is. I don't think he was asking for a translation. I don't think I've got anything else to add to this thread... :(

10. Sunshine on Leith Senior Member

Edinburgh
    Spain's Spanish
    If the OP (English native) is asking for an alternative for 'praderas' or prairies, plains or llanuras or planicies is an alternative.
    No need to get so upset about it...

I thought we were in the translation forum, not the Spanish only forum....:(

11. Bigote Blanco Senior Member

A pradera, a small enclosed pasture. Es bien diferent que los llanos(or plains) de Argentina.

I'm sure that Lenni22 cpuld explain this clearly in both English and Spanish to those of you who would like to be polite. ;)

12. Luigiyankee Senior Member

Las Rozas, Madrid
    Spain-Spanish
    Bigote Blanco, sorry if I step in, but a small enclosed pasture is not a "pradera", but sounds more like a "prado". Pradera applies to bigger open spaces.

I have never ever been in Argentina myself, but the idea I have always had of "la pampa Argentina" is of huge open spaces covered by grass, with some sparce trees here and there, which is my idea of a "pradera". Very much like your plains area in the central states of the US (actually your state would be included in that area, wouldn't it?).

13. albertovidal

albertovidal Senior Member

Bs.As.-Argentina
    Castellano, Argentina
    pampa: 4. f. Cada una de las llanuras extensas de América Meridional que no tienen vegetación arbórea. (plain, pairie)
    5. f. Ec. Terreno destinado al cultivo agrícola. Pampa de maíz, de papas. (agricultural land)

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

Both "agricultural land" and "pairie" can be applied to the Argentine pampas although it's generally referred to as "fertile lands"

14. Bigote Blanco Senior Member

Luigiyankee,
    I think you have a good point prado vs. pradera. I've always considered both as kinds of small, lush pastures, rather than large expansive land areas "llanos"or the pampas de Argentina, or as Albertovidal pointed out "plains or pairies" lacking trees. Alberto also kindly informed us a "milpa" might also be called a "pampa de maiz"- that's new to me. I'd assume a "pampa de maiz" might also imply a larger area than a "milpa"

15. mijoch Senior Member

British English
    "Little house on the prairie" here, is "La casa de la pradera".

M.

16. Bigote Blanco Senior Member

I would have translated it as: "La casita del llano";)