1. lurdilli New Member

Madrid
    spanish
    Hi, I was reading a new about Harry Potter actor and I´m a question: what´s mean Pansy ass? ass is donkey or another mean? Pansy is a gay person but... What could be the best translation in spanish?
    This is the paragraph:
    "Daniel Radcliffe says he wants to play a drag queen and admits he drinks vodka and Diet Coke like a 'pansy ass'."

Thank you for your help.

Bye.

2. espandalucía Senior Member

Huelva, Currently - EEUU
    Spain, Spanish
    You are correct lurdilli, pansy ass is just british slang for gay. So it´s the same as un maricón.

"Daniel Radcliffe dice que quiere jugar un tranvestí, y admite que bebe vodka y coca cola como un maricón."

3. Franzi Senior Member

Astoria, NY
    (San Francisco) English
    I think "pansy ass" means "effeminate person" here rather than "gay" specifically. He is mocking himself and his own interest in un-manly things. The quote doesn't sound homophobic to me. The translation should be something that's only mildly offensive.

4. espandalucía Senior Member

Huelva, Currently - EEUU
    Spain, Spanish
    I see what you´re saying, but I´ve lived in England, and it means gay, it´s the same as when americans say faggot. Though he is making fun of himself, it doesn´t sound homophobic anyway, he´s just making a point. Maricón really is the best translation for it, or mariquita for example. Slang in Spain for gay.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  5. Franzi Senior Member

Astoria, NY
    (San Francisco) English
    We use "pansy-ass" in the US too, but it's not as offensive as 'faggot', and it carries much more of an implication of effeminacy and wimpiness. (The old WR threads on 'pansy' all have to do with this meaning.) Do you think 'pansy' and 'faggot' are equally offensive/inoffensive in England?

(I'm not arguing with your translation. I just want to give a more complete picture of what the term means in English.)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  6. lapachis8 Senior Member

El Defectuoso
    Mexico-Spanish

7. espandalucía Senior Member

Huelva, Currently - EEUU
    Spain, Spanish
    Jajaja, muchisimas gracias lapachis8.
    Que equivocación más tonta, no me he dao cuenta.

8. Ai-chan Junior Member

Spain
    Dado que pansy ass no está dicho en un sentido ofensivo, la mejor opción es "mariquita". "Maricón" o "marica" no suelen decirse en un contexto amigable aquí en España, sino que se utilizan más como un insulto.