para entender el inglés hablado

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Henrik Larsson, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Henrik Larsson Senior Member

Socuéllamos
    Spanish
    Esque cuando oigo a alguien hablar en Inglés serio mi mente se queda en blanco. No esque no sepa que ha dicho, es que no sabria ni hacer la transcripción fonética, porque no se si ha pronunciado una "c" o una "s" o una "z". En cambio la transcripicion fonética de las palabras castellanas en mucho mas facil, ya que en español, la transcripción fonética es igual a como se escribe la palabra.

2. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Puede que estés cometiendo --de forma inconsciente-- el mismo gran error en el que incurren muchas personas: tratan de "escuchar" o "hablar" el inglés mientras continúan pensando en español. Cuando alguien te hable en inglés, tienes que hacer un esfuerzo por "cambiar de canal mental" y sintonizarte en el idioma correcto. Aunque de toda una oración que te expresen lo único que entiendas sea "glass" y "water"... podrás al menos inferir que te estén pidiendo u ofreciendo un vaso de agua.

Si permaneces con tu mente "en español" y tratas de escribir/deletrear la palabra "water" o lo que sea mientras la otra persona sigue hablando, ¡por supuesto que no vas a entender nada!

No sé si entiendes lo que estoy tratando de comunicarte....

Saludos,

Laura

3. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English
    Let me put in my two cents here.

It is obvious that learning written language and spoken language is two different things. Most people learn their mother tongue as a spoken language first and only later learn to read and write. I think that teaching systems that approximate this approach are best for learning a language.

For English speakers there are various systems available that utilize this method.
    For example: Pimsleur's method (which doesn't go very far but I think it gives a good start) http://www.languagetapes.com/

Better perhaps are the Foreign Service Institute Language Courses.
    http://www.multilingualbooks.com/fsi.html

And, of course, the Berlitz courses http://www.berlitz.com/default.htm

What all of these have in common is an emphasis on listening and speaking the new language at first and introduction of written language later.

So my suggestion would be to try to obtain some similar audio material--CD's, cassettes, mp3s,...

I now have all the Foreign Service Course lessons on an IPOD and I can listen to them while taking walks.

I have gone through all the Pimsleur cassettes for Spanish and about 75% of the Foreign Service Institute course (as revised by Platiquemous) in Spanish. And, I have been studying Spanish off and on for years. Lately I have made a concerted effort. I can get by in a conversation with a
    Spanish speaker, but I often have to ask for the definition of a word or to have something repeated. And I can get totally lost when listening to rapid fire colloquial Spanish. I have yet to live for a considerable period of time in a Spanish speaking country (EEUU aside). I think that's really necessary for most people to master a foreign language.

4. cristóbal Senior Member

EEUU
    EEUU/Inglés

Let's put it this way, I've been studying Spanish practically constantly for the past eight years. Además, now that I'm here in Spain, I've been here for 3 and a half months. So, that's a lot of Spanish. I still have trouble understanding Spaniards--some are easier than others. I can almost always understand professors, although some are just as difficult as the Canarios or Andaluces that I meet. Point being, it takes a lot of time and effort to understand a language spoken because you're thinking on your feet, you've got to go for the jist of the conversation or you're going to get lost (as has already been mentioned in this thread)... and you have to drop the parts you don't understand. But, from experience, te digo yo, that the worse thing you can do is just say "yes" or "sí" when someone asks you a question that you don't understand.

5. gms Senior Member

Argentina, spanish
    Nosotros, los argentinos, no hacemos distinción fonética. Pronunciamos de la misma manera la "ll" y la "y", la "z" y la "s", la "v" y la "b". ¿Cómo haces para saber qué estamos pronunciando?

6. Aleda Senior Member

Santa Fé
    Spanish Argentina
    bueno, es cierto lo que decís de nuestra fonética, pero en este caso, el problema sería para el inglés que quiere aprender castellano, por suerte, si tu problema es la fonética inglesa teneés soluciones, quizás parciales o casi completas, pero las tenés estudiando la fonética en profundidad. En las carreras de traductorado se ve este tema a lo largo de un año, la solución está allí.
    Lo único que puedo decirte a modo de ayuda para compensar lo antes mencionado es que le des un vistazo a esta dirección: eleaston.com/pronunciation/links.html (la saqué de acá del foro de un post anterior)

Espero que tengas suerte.

7. simplyaStudent Junior Member

usa - english
    Henrik,

Here's another two cents. I have been studing Spanish for 3 years now. I have yet to start writing, but I read and listen to spoken speech with great understanding. Since I use Internet radio to listen to dialects from around the world, specific dialects really don't matter. My understanding remains high across them all.

However, I figured out a long time ago that the problem with understanding the spoken tongue is a question of actually hearing the words. I found that the mind tends not to hear what it cannot understand. So, you must concentrate on just hearing the words - while not trying to figure out what they mean. Once you can hear the words, you will find that you will encounter them in print within a week where you can look them up if context is not enough.

A test for hearing is whether you can repeat what was said.

If you follow this method, you will soon find that understanding follows as a natural consequence.

~ simplyaStudent