para eso es para lo que están los gobiernos

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Jo5e, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Jo5e New Member

Spanish - Spain
    Hi everyone!

Looking for the right way to say this in English. I give some context:

[I believe in worldwide health access rights, no matter the money it costs: ] that's what the taxes and the governments are for.

I don't know if this is okay, not sure if I should type what or why.

What I am trying to state is that the target of the governments and the taxes is the establishment of civil rights as the health one.

In Spanish:
    Creo en el derecho internacional de acceso a la sanidad sin importar el coste: para eso es para lo que están los impuestos y los gobiernos.

Thank you!!!
    Please, mark any mistake I commited in English.
  2. kayokid

kayokid Senior Member

English, USA
    Hello. I think your sentence works. Personally, I would make the following minor changes:

I believe in worldwide health access rights, no matter what the cost -- that's what taxes and governments are for.

Wait for other opinions/options.
  3. idavie Senior Member

British English
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

I think your sentence works, and you should definitely use "what" and not "why", but personally I would say:

"I believe in worldwide access to healthcare." (We tend to use healthcare rather than health if we mean access to hospitals, doctors, treatment etc, which I think is what you mean.)
    And I agree with kayokid's suggestion of "no matter what the cost".

Then, if you are talking about one specific country, I would say "that's what the taxes and the government are for".
    If you mean all governments and countries, then I would omit the articles, as kayokid suggested.

But these are really minor changes - your sentence works very well.
  4. mafalda123

mafalda123 Junior Member

English (Australia)
    I think "no matter the cost" or "regardless of the cost" or "irrespective of the cost" could also work as alternatives to "no matter what the cost".

Hope this helps :)