1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

paralización de obra

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by whiterose2, Jul 17, 2008.

1. whiterose2 New Member

USA
    I need help with a construction work/service contract (contrato de obras/servicios).
    The sentence is [FONT=&quot]Acta de paralización de la Obra/Servicio.

They talk about different parts of the constriction agreement sauch as: Acta de terminacion de obra= finalization statement or Acta de incio= Inicial statement.

Paralizacion = standstill or halt. I don't think the term "demurrage statement" is correct when talking about construction.

I don't like stop or stoppage as someone suggested. to me ·standstill statement" doesn't make sense or does it?.

suggestions appreciated.[/FONT]

2. Kraken

Kraken Senior Member

Valladolid (España)
    Castellano (Español)
    I for one would not translate [FONT=&quot]Acta de incio as Inicial statement, but as Act/statement of [/FONT]commencement.

About the "paralización": "Paralización de obra" implies that a local authority actually puts your service on ice until you fix an important problem that is detected and is serious enough as to put the construction to a halt.

I hope it helps.

3. whiterose2 New Member

USA
    Thanks, I like commencement it seems to show more the act of starting something.
    In this case we are talking about construction in Africa and construction stops many times due to many reasons like not enough material to continue,payement issues, un-reliable workers.
    The contract talks about an agreement/statement when one of the parties thinks it is appropriate or necessary to stop the work.
    Stopping agreement sounds awful.

I really appreciate the help

4. whiterose2 New Member

USA
    Kraken, thanks again for the help I understand perfectly the Spanish meaning of paralizazion but don't know it in English. (even though I'm American)

5. Kraken

Kraken Senior Member

Valladolid (España)
    Castellano (Español)
    Well, I only tried to help you getting it clear, in case it would ring any bell.
    About the English word for it, I can't think of anything.
    Sorry.

6. yovis New Member

spanish
    "I need help with a construction work/service contract (contrato de obras/servicios). "

If it is due to employees, you may use STRIKE
    but if it's due to government, or Client, I think you can use "WORK SUSPENSION or SUSPENSION OF WORK

Hope, I helped.

7. lagena Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentine Spanish
    (paralización de una actividad) - for example: pidieron la paralizaciòn de las obras = they applied for the work to be stopped

Wait for other options