1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

parangaricutirimicuaro [parangaricutirimícuaro]

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Adrian2, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Adrian2 New Member

USA/English
    What does parangaricutirimicuaro mean?
    I have read through several threads and believe it to be the name of a city(?) where a university is located but what does it mean?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member

Nassau County, NY
    USA - English
    Hi, Adrian.

[font=Verdana, Arial] Parangaricutirimicuaro is a town in Mexico frozen forever in volcanic lava. The name is commonly used as a tongue twister. It was swallowed up by the lava from the famous Paricutin volcano. This is the volcano that sprouted in a cornfield in Michoacan, Mexico.

[/font]Rarely do volcanologists get to watch the birth, growth, and death of a volcano. Paricutin provided such an opportunity. The eruption that created Paricutin began in 1943 and continued to 1952. Most of the explosive activity was during the first year of the eruption when the cone grew to 1,100 feet (336 m). The cone continued to grow for another 8 years but added only another 290 feet (88 m). Effusive activity began on the second day and continued to the end of the eruption. Lava flows covered about 10 square miles (25 square km) and had a volume of about 0.3 cubic miles (1.4 cubic km). The rate of eruption declined steadily until the last 6 months of the eruption when violent explosions were frequent and violent. No one was killed by lava or ash. However, three people were killed by lightning associated with the eruption.

3. KateNicole Senior Member

Miami, Florida
    English (USA)
    Does that word have any accent marks or dieresis?

4. QUIJOTE Senior Member

USA
    No. is a just that long, if you can resite it you have graduated form Advanced Spanish. ;)

5. EVAVIGIL

EVAVIGIL Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain / Spanish
    Hello, Adrian, and welcome to the forum.
    Apparently, Mexican children use this word as a tongue-twister.
    En el cerro de parangaricutirimicuaro,
    mataron un parangaricutirimicuador,
    quien me lo desemparangaricutirimicuare,
    será un buen desemparangaricutirimicuador.
    (Enviado por José Martín Téllez Reyes,
    Michoacán, México.)

www.elhuevodechocolate.com

They seem to find funny that a small town has such a long name...
    Hope this helps.
    EVA.

6. holyvaca New Member

US-English
    This is only a tongue twister...
    the actual town that was covered in lava was called San Juan Parangricutiro. The name was lengthened to create the tongue twister:) which has many versions.

7. lapachis8 Senior Member

El Defectuoso
    Mexico-Spanish
    Hi Adrian,
    This word has been WIDELY discussed in this forum. Just type it in the Dictionary look up window.
    cheers

8. Anhelo

Anhelo New Member

USA
    Mexican Spanish
    Yep, it does. It's Pa-ran-ga-ri-cu-ti-ri-mí-cua-ro. Accent mark on the Mí.

9. Jonchile New Member

Hi KateNichol. That word DOES have a written accent. It's placed over the final “i” -mícuero.

10. UZIKATKILLKILL Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Castellano, Argentina
    Stupid spanish phrase which is supposed to confuse or at least to cry desperately... I think...

Urban dict

11. JeSuisSnob

JeSuisSnob et modérateur aussi

Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
    Yes, you are right, but it is "Parangaricutirimícuaro."

Welcome!

12. Dustmop New Member

English - USA
    I am pretty sure this is not a Spanish name. I believe it to be in the Nazhuatl language of the ancient Mexica (Aztec) people.

13. UZIKATKILLKILL Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Castellano, Argentina
    Qué interesante, ¿y qué significa, lo sabes? Gracias por la aclaración. :confused:

14. Dustmop New Member

English - USA
    No, I don't know the meaning, but I will ask around some others who might and let you know. ¡De nada, Uzikat!

15. 336Rob New Member

Purhepecha
    This is neither Spanish nor Nazhuatl. This is Purepecha (Tarascan), a language still spoken in the state of Michoaca, Mexico.

Source: It's my native language.

16. EddieZumac

EddieZumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    English/Spanish
    Welcome to the WR forum, Rob, and thanks for your contribution.