1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. borgia_girl

borgia_girl Senior Member

Argentina
    castellano- Argentina
    Estoy traduciendo un texto sobre la leche y sus derivados y tengo problemas con la siguiente oración

"Se excluye, considerándola inapta para el consumo, la (leche) que tuviese calostro o hubiera sido obtenida en el periodo dentro de los doce días antes y diez días después de la parición" [sobre todo tengo problemas con esa palabra]

Mi intento:

"Milk containing/having (?) beestings or milk obtained in the period between the ... is excluded and considered..."

I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

2. polli

polli Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina / castellano
    Hola:
    I thik it´s calving (giving birth to a calf)
    Wait for more options...may be natives...

3. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    What sort of milk are we considering here? If it is human, then the word you want is "childbirth"; if it is animal, you might say "giving birth".

I would also not use the term "beesting", but instead would say "colostrum".

4. borgia_girl

Argentina
    castellano- Argentina
    It's milk from cow milk... so, you think that it would be ok to say:

Milk contaning/having colostrum or obtained in the period between ten days before or twelve days after giving birth is considered unfit for human consumption.

Thanks for the idea! but what about the reference? should I explicit who's giving bitrth i.e., the cow milk?

5. polli

polli Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina / castellano
    Hi GWB, se entiende que es de leche de vaca, ya que habla de leche y sus derivados (no creo que haya derivados de leche humana), en Argentina si fuera de otro animal se aclararía, y tampoco se utiliza parición para hablar de humanos.
    Saludos
    Agrego que WR dice que colostrum es calostro humano y beestings es de animales

6. Mate

Mate Senior Member

Argentina
    Castellano - Argentina
  7. borgia_girl

Argentina
    castellano- Argentina
    So...

Milk contaning/having calostrum or obtained in the period between ten days before or twelve days after calving is considered unfit for human consumption.

Is the sentence construction ok?

Thaks to you all!

8. GreenWhiteBlue

New York
    USA - English
    If you have been speaking of cow's milk throughout the piece, then it would not be necessary now to specify that you mean cow's milk, as opposed to goat's milk, or cow's milk as opposed to all milk (including that of human mothers -- whch would make no sense!) I think it is very clear that you are referring to the milk derived from the animal that is giving birth.

I will say, though, that many people consider such milk to be particularly nutritious.

9. polli

polli Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina / castellano
    Disiento en calostro (es colostrum pero se usa para calostro humano)
    Coincidimos con calving

10. GreenWhiteBlue

New York
    USA - English
    Colostrum is the more "scientific" term for both human and animal milk produced during this period, and as people move further and further away from rural experience, it is the only term that many know. "Beestings" (which is beest-ings, and not bee-stings!), or "beestlings" or "beest-milk" is rural English dialect for the milk of cows that have recently given birth. This is an old term, but like "milch cow" or "setting hen" it would probably not be understood by many modern, urban people. I would therefore go with the more widely understood (that is, more widely understood by people who do not milk cows!) "colostrum".

11. polli

polli Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina / castellano
    Gracias por tu aclaración GWB:)

12. borgia_girl

Argentina
    castellano- Argentina
    Very interesting! thanks for your explanation from a native speaker's viewpoint!

thanks to all those who contributed to my translation...