1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

parisyllabic / imparisyllabic

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by nesrin, Nov 19, 2012.

1. nesrin New Member

Cairo
    Arabic
    Hello friends i'm a new friend from Cairo. When i first visited this forum i liked it very much since studying and comparing languages is my fond. I study in the faculty of arts, English department in which we study French and Latin besides English.As for me, i learned Turkish from the internet websites and i'm currently learning Spanish as well. Please help me find out whether the following Latin words are parisyllabic or imparisyllabic :
    virtus virtutis, radix radicis, arbor arboris, seges segetis, iniuria iniuriae, oblivio oblivionis, pastor pastoris, custos custodis, ovis ovis, ardor ardoris, orator oratoris, remedium,i
    Thank you in advance! :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Hello nesrin.

Welcome to the forum. :)

When words have the same number of syllables in the nominative and genitive singular, they may be called 'parisyllabic'. One example is ovis [nominative], ovis [genitive].

Imparisyllabic words have more syllables in the genitive than in the nominative singular. One example is: virtus [nominative] virtutis [genitive]. Most of the nouns in your list are imparisyllabic.

We use this terminology when discussing third declension nouns, because in certain cases the pattern of the declension is different for parisyllabic nouns than it is for imparisyllabic nouns of the third declension. First declension nouns and most second declension nouns would be parisyllabic, but we don't usually use this terminology when discussing them because it doesn't relate to the pattern of the declension.

3. nesrin New Member

Cairo
    Arabic
    Thank you sooo much :) Most of those nouns are imparisyllabic.That's exactly what i thought! But i just wanted to make sure it's correct :) and that this rule concerning the number of syllables is sth fixed and i can count on cuz i have an exam on Wed. So they're all imparisyllabic except for iniuria, ovis, and remedium, is that right?? .. Thanks again!

4. XiaoRoel

XiaoRoel Senior Member

Vigo (Galiza)
    galego, español
    Los términos parisilábico e imparisilabico (parisílabo e imparisílabo en español) se refieren sólo a palabras de la tercera declinación que abarca términos cuyo lexema termina en consonante.
    En esta tercera declinación se distinguen dos tipos según que su lexema termine en yod [y] o en cualquier otra consonante.
    En el primer caso tendremos palabras del tipo parisílabo (es decir, estas palabras tienen el mismo número de sílabas en el nominativo que en el genitivo singular). La yod final del lexema en latín se ha vocalizado en i (la [ĭ] final de palabra (breve) aparece como [ĕ], por ejemplo en nominativo-acusativo singular del género neutro). A este tipo pertenece, entre las palabras de tu ejemplo, ouis, ouis.
    Se llaman imparisílabas las palabras de esta declinación es las que el genitivo cuenta con una sílaba más que el nominativo en el número singular. Son todos lexemas terminados en consonante distinta de yod. En tus ejemplos: virtus, virtutis; radix, radicis; arbor, arboris; seges, segetis; oblivio, oblivionis; pastor, pastoris; custos, custodis; ardor, ardoris; orator, oratoris.
    Tanto iniuria, iniuriae como remedium, remedii pertenecen a las declinaciones temáticas (las que tienen vocal temática como mecanismo de formación morfológica), respectivamente a la 1ª y 2ª declinaciones latinas (temas en -a- y temas en -o-).

The terms parisyllabic and imparisyllabic (parisílabo and imparisílabo in Spanish) refer only to words of the third declension covering lexeme whose terms ends in a consonant.
    In this third declension are two types according to their finish in yod lexeme [and] or any other consonant.
    In the first case we have words parisyllabic type (i.e., these words have the same number of syllables in the nominative and in the genitive singular). The final yod of the Latin lexeme has vocalized in i (the end of words (short) appears as [e], for example in the nominative-accusative neuter singular). To this type belongs, between the words of your example, ouis, ouis.
    Imparisyllabics are called the words of this declension that the genitive has more than one syllable that in the nominative singular number. Are all lexemes ending in a consonant other than yod. In your examples: virtus, virtutis; radix, radicis; arbor, arboris; seges, segetis; oblivio, oblivionis; pastor pastoris; custos, custodis, ardor, ardoris; orator, oratoris.
    Both iniuria, iniuriae as remedium, remedii belong to tematics declensions (those with vowel as morphological formation mechanism), respectively to the 1st and 2nd Latin declensions (themes in -a- and -o-).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  5. nesrin New Member

Cairo
    Arabic
    hmmmmmm i see! Thank you so much, XiaoRoel, you also helped me learning Spanish! :) thanks guys for your help I appreciate it! :) Now i can go for the exam confidently !

6. J.F. de TROYES Senior Member

francais-France
    Nothing to add to what has been accurately cleared up above. Just one more point : It's important to differentiate both categories as imparisyllabic nouns end their genitive plural in -um ( arborum, custodum ) while parisyllabic nouns generally use -ium ( ovium, civium ) . However (false ) imparisyllabic nouns with a radical (stem) ending in two consonants also have a -ium genitive ( urbs, is : urbium ; pars, partis : partium ; gens, -ntis : gentium ) , because they come from old parisyllabic forms as *urbis, urbis. The same for neuter words ending in -al and-ar as animal, -is or exemplar,-is : genitive plural animalium , exemplarium. ( Old forms: *animale,is ) .