parler de tout et de rien / discuter de tout et de rien

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by dinamorgabin, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Hello everyone,

Is anyone can suggest a translation for " parler de tout et de rien ".
    In my opinion in French is "bla-bla".
    How to say it in English?

Hearing from you. Thanks

Note des modérateurs : nous avons fusionné plusieurs discussions pour créer ce fil.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
  2. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    They were blah-blahing...

3. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Une traduction mot par mot servirait bien en anglais. (with tout = everything, rather than all)
  4. Cavatine Senior Member

French - France
    So the expression "speak about everything and nothing" would work ?
  5. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Plutôt talk: they talked about everything and nothing. Nothing at all, peut-être.
  6. Thanks all of you for these early replies, but may I add another precision?

Suppose you are in a meeting and you have to report any terms of this meeting. How to say " parler de tout et de rien". Are they 'chatting', 'blablahing' or 'everthing and nothing'.
    You are in the context now.

7. jpwalsh Member

USA, English
    English speakers feel free to correct me here, but in that context I'd be inclined to say, "they talked about a few ins and outs."

I only say this bc "blah-blahing" is, at best, colloquial language, and "chatting" for a business meeting just doesn't sound right to me.
  8. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    I'd call it chatting in that context, yes.
  9. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Here's my interpretation (for what it's worth!):
    'chatting' = informal talk (neutral)
    'blah-blah' = not saying anything meaningful (gossip, complaints, etc.)
    'speaking/talking of everything and of nothing' = more formal register, more literary
  10. gnat Senior Member

India - [hin]English
    bonjour à tous!
    "parler de tout et de rien " veut dire parler des choses banales?
    la phrase est dit par une femme qui profite de RTT en buvant une tasse avec sa voisine et "parlant de tout et de rien"
  11. kiwi-di

kiwi-di Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    New Zealand, English
    Are you looking for a translation?

In English we say "talking about everything and nothing" - in fact a direct translation.
  12. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    'To talk of this and that'
  13. zazap Senior Member

Canada, French and English
    Ta phrase en français est très bien, je ne comprends pas ce que tu cherches. Parler de tout et de rien ne veut pas nécessairement dire parler de choes banales, mais plutôt de plusieurs choses, d'une manière décontractée, rien de trop sérieux, quoi!
  14. toban

toban Senior Member

English - Canada
    In the context of a friend inviting you over for a beer "et parler de tout et de rien," what would you think of "to shoot the breeze"?

I don't think I've heard "to talk about everything and nothing" in this type of context as often as I hear I hear "parler de tout et de rien" in French.
  15. Hello,

Thank you very much for your replies.
    What do you think about this: " nonsense talk" or "talk nonsense" ?

16. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    "talk rubbish"
  17. AlvinaLovesUSA Member

Bonjour !

J'aimerais savoir s'il y a une expression spéciale pour "parler de tout et rien", ou s'il faut traduire mot à mot : speaking/talking about everything and nothing.

Contexte : Shawna et Allyson discutaient de tout et rien.
    Ma traduction : Shawna and Allyson were talking about everything and nothing.

D'autres propositions ?

Merci d'avance

18. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

English, UK
    talking about everything and nothing is not a set phrase, and sounds odd.
    talking about this and that is, and doesn't.
  19. tartopom Senior Member

to natter ??
  20. padmavyuha Senior Member

Norwich, East Anglia
    English - Southern England
    I don't agree with Arrius: "they talked about everything and nothing" is a common literary phrase in English - however, it's mainly used when describing a couple getting romantically involved, in the sense of "they were intoxicated with finding out about each other" like in the film Before Sunrise.
    It's a little archaic and cliché, therefore, and wouldn't suit a transcript of an English business meeting! Informally, I'd say there was some "introductory chitchat" before the meeting really started, or something.
  21. justbecrazy

justbecrazy Member

Le context:

A: Avec votre ami, de quoi parlez-vous souvent?

B: De tout et de rien.

Qu'est-ce que ça veut dire, de tout et de rien ?

Everything and nothing?

C'est pas possible.

Merci, beaucoup!
  22. misterk Moderator

"Everything and nothing" is fine in English. ("We talk about everything; we talk about nothing (i.e., nothing important).")
  23. justbecrazy

justbecrazy Member

Parce que je crois que c'est d'accord de dire que vous parlez de tout,ou de rien.
    Mais comment parlez-vous de tout a la fois de rien?
    C'est pas possible.
    Vous pensez?