parole vs. probation

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by larubia, Feb 15, 2006.

1. larubia Senior Member

en la tierra de Diosito
    english, u.s.
    yo pensé que la traducción de probation es: libertad vigilada y parole es: libertad condicional. sin embargo, un nativo de español me dice lo contrario. ¿cuál es la traducción correcta?
    gracias!

2. sabris Senior Member

Dallas, Texas
    Honduras--Spanish
    Hasta donde yo se significa:
    Parole: libertad condicional
    Probation: Período de prueba

3. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    No es que la libertad condicional es precisamente un periodo de prueba? Si no se cumple las condiciones, vuelve a la cárcel, no?

4. Snoop Puss Senior Member

Brit now living in Spain
  5. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    Colloquially the way most people use it here there is no difference between parole and probation.

6. Lagartija

Lagartija Senior Member

Western Massachusetts
    English, USA
    How interesting! Here, parole is only for people who have been released from prison. Probation is what you are on if they are giving you a chance to "straighten up" after committing some crime. If you screw up....then off to jail you go.

7. helenduffy

helenduffy Senior Member

USA, English
    There have been some articles on this in the ATA Chronicle (Oct. 2002 and one later) the 2002 article concludes that you might as well say "probacion."

The article offers a lengthy comparison of different country's legal systems and terms in various legal dictionaries.

We have a lot of Dominican clients, so we often say "probatorio" which is apparently what they say there.

8. Snoop Puss Senior Member

Brit now living in Spain
    Hi Lagartija, strictly speaking Britain applies probation and parole in the way you describe. But I have a probation officer friend and can't really comment on colloquial usage in Britain.

9. helenduffy

helenduffy Senior Member

USA, English
    Oh, and for parole I say libertad condicional, although we have a native speaker of Spanish who works for the parole board and he insists that "Parol" is a Spanish word!

10. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    The bit in bold is how people understand it here and this condition applies to both probation and parole.

11. Lagartija

Lagartija Senior Member

Western Massachusetts
    English, USA
    Yes, it is true about parole, too. If you "break parole" then you are sent BACK to prison. For probation, you haven't really served time yet. But if you break the conditions of your probation, then you WILL be sent to jail.

I wasn't very clear about that!:eek:

12. joegreasfire New Member

Sacramento, California
    Spanish from Lima, Peru
    Here is my understanding of this debate: probation is "libertad condicional" or "libertad vigilada" and recently there has been a push by some interpreters to interpret probation as "probacion." The reasoning for this is that there are examples of the use of the word probation and probacion in early english and spanish texts, initialy in a religious context and later (as the English and Spanish legal systems were influenced by christianity) in a legal context. Parole on the other hand, is "libertad preparatoria" in other words, a period of time in which an individual becomes prepared to reenter society. In court, a significant number of the defendants I encounter refer to probation as "probecho," and to parole as "parol" but I would try not to use those words except in an informal setting (outside of court).

13. zaavik Junior Member

English USA
    The semantic issue with "libertad condicional" and "libertad vigilada" is that other sorts of release are also "condicional" and "vigilada." One can be on pretrial release and have to report to a court officer periodically during the process or one can be placed on probation and have "condiciones" and "vigilancia." The distinction is whether one has been sentenced to a correctional institution (prison) or one has still managed to avoid it (probation). The back-translations of these terms would most likely be "conditional release" and "supervised release," not the P-words. In the jurisdiction in which I work, the current euphemism for "parole" is "community supervision." When the defendant is asked in Spanish if he has been on "pretrial release" "probation" or "community supervision" and the interpreter spits out 3 different "libertades calificadas" the defendant is lost and usually responds incorrectly. The solution for "parole" should include "from a correctional institution" and that of "probation" should avoid "libertad," since in many jurisdictions, one is never actually released because a jail term is imposed as a condition of probation and an immigration hold usually prohibits the release of the defendant anyway.

14. tillymarigold Senior Member

US
    US/English
    Would that it were so simple!

I usually say:
    probation: libertad probatoria, probatoria
    parole: libertad condicional vigilada
    supervised release: libertad supervisada

(Supervised release is ordered in the federal prison system: it's like probation that *follows* a prison term. It's not like parole, which *replaces* part of your time in prison. In the federal system, you serve the full time you're sentenced to, *then* have a certain number of years of supervised release afterwards. It can be up to life for certain offenses but is usually 2 or 3 years.)

But of course there's also pre-trial release, release on bail, release on bond, release on recognizance ...

Just pick one and stick with it, though it helps if your colleagues do the same!

15. zaavik Junior Member

English USA
    I agree; the problem is that the "bilingual" attorneys, corrections staff, law enforcement, etc., all use the English word, which usually sticks. The other end of the spectrum: I have a colleague here who insists on saying "delegado de prueba" for probation officer; imagine how that works--the speakers think it's the clerk handling the exhibits.

16. tillymarigold Senior Member

US
    US/English
    ¿Delegado de prueba? Yech, that even sounds awful to me. I usually say "oficial de probatoria" or "funcionario de probatoria." I've never heard "delegado" for "officer" before. Would you happen to be in New Jersey? I know in New Jersey there's a big push to use "libertad a prueba" for "probation."

I've never had any trouble with using "probatoria"; most people understand it, and yet (unlike "probación") it is a real word that can mean what I use it to mean. I have more problems with "parole," but luckily (working in the federal courts) I don't need to use it much--mostly I need to talk about "supervised release." The problem with that (and it's an English problem, not an interpreting problem) is that often it's "The defendant is sentenced to eighteen months in prison plus one year of supervised release. Said supervised release shall be unsupervised..."

Working in the federal courts in a border state, I also have the luxury that 90% of the people I interpret for are from one country (Mexico). So I just grabbed the term for parole that my Mexican coworker told me was used in Mexico (libertad condicional vigilada). Whether she's right, I don't know, though she's an excellent interpreter and in general I trust her translations.

As for what you said about "community supervision" being a euphemism for "parole" where you live ... In New Jersey, "community supervision" is a special sort of parole granted to sex offenders [actually, it's more similar to the federal "supervised release" since it follows a prison term and doesn't replace any prison time]; it's an especially severe component of Megan's Law that requires the offender to report to a panel of citizens every month, usually for the rest of his/her life. So in New Jersey you can be on probation, parole, *or* community supervision (I usually said "¿Está bajo libertad probatoria, libertad condicional o supervisión comunitaria?" since it does refer to supervision *by* the community, not just *in* the community).

17. nv1962

nv1962 Senior Member

Reno, Nevada (USA)
    es, nl, en-us
    Hola...

A mí de da mal sabor hablar de "libertad condicional" en el caso de probation (según utilizado en EE.UU.), y ello por dos razones:
    - No se diferencia con parole (como ya se explicó anteriormente, dos situaciones totalmente distintas)
    - Una sentencia que otorga probation puede perfectamente contemplar encarcelamiento (aunque sea por días) dejando totalmente entredicho el uso de "libertad" a menos que se interprete un tanto rebuscadamente como aquella correspondiente al acusado, de aceptarla o rechazarla (cayéndole pues una sentencia bastante más dura)

Es por ello que suelo usar "sentencia probatoria" para probation sentence, aunque "sentencia condicional" (o hasta "sentencia aminorada condicional") tampoco me parecen mal.

Pero "libertad condicional", de todos modos no.

18. terepere Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    From what I have seen in the link, parole is the same as libertad condicional. Same legal concept, same conditions, same everything.

The problem is probation. How on earth do I translate a legal institution that does not exist in Spain. We don´t have a word for probation, and I like the way tilly translates it: libertad probatoria, I think it was.

Maybe we should have a look at the youth criminal law in Spain, because it might content a similar legal figure for troublesome youngsters who might avoid jail if they behave and comply with certain conditions. Maybe that legal concept could be used to translate probation... even though probation is not only aimed at underages.

Anyway I´m glad to see parole is really libertad condicional because I was going crazy with probation! Thank you all!

19. Kräuter_Fee

Kräuter_Fee Senior Member

Spain
    Portuguese&Spanish (native)/ (English&German - foreign)
    Parole: es libertad condicional, al acusado (que está en la cárcel) se le permite salir de la cárcel (bajo vigilancia).

Probation: también es libertad condicional, pero en este caso el acusado es sentenciado a libertad condicional, es decir, no llega a estar en la cárcel.

20. terepere Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    Probation: también es libertad condicional, pero en este caso el acusado es sentenciado a libertad condicional, es decir, no llega a estar en la cárcel.[/quote]

No puede ser: la libertad condicional supone que ha existido un proceso penal, una condena y el cumplimiento de parte de la condena, que lleva a los jueces de vigilancia penitenciaria a conceder el cuarto grado y dicha libertad condicional.

En la figura de la "probation" no hay necesariamente un proceso penal en toda su extensión. No hay una condena. Simplemente un aviso judicial de que si vuelves a reincidir y no cumples x condiciones impuestas, serás procesado y condenado a pena privativa de libertad.

"Probation" se parece mucho más a la figura de la libertad provisonal: no hay condena, el proceso penal no se ha concluido y el juez permite que el individuo permanezca libre bajo determinadas condiciones.

Me parece importante el momento procesal en el que tienen lugar todas estas figuras porque es parte esencial de su existencia.

En la Ley del Menor he encontrado que si el menor comete una falta (no un delito) será objeto de "medidas de amonestación". ¿Qué os parece como alternativa a "probation"? Creo que en su finalidad se acerca mucho más a su significado.

Quedaría por explorar el Código Penal, a ver si hay alguna medida similar, tiene que haberla... pero hoy no me veo con fuerzas.

21. dauda98 Senior Member

United States
    Well, it seems that we are arguing about different issues and some people are still confused about the meaning of certian words.

I would like to clarify that you can be imposed probation regardless of whether you have been in jail or not. A judge may impose probation as the sentence and you never spent a day in jail or he may send you to jail and have that sentence followed by a period of probation.

I believe that translating parole for libertad condicional is completely correct. They are obviously synonymous. As for probation, you can have your pick. Libertad vigilada is just as valid as saying libertad a prueba. Just b/c in Spain it is defined diff. please consider that other Latin American countries do use libertad vigilada, lib. a prueba, etc. to mean probation.

My beaf is with "probatoria". I NEVER use it for probation only b/c it means something else. In all my sp. legal dictionary it means "evidentiary". Audiencia probatoria = evidentiary hearing.

Anyway, if you must say probatoria, I don't think it is very good spanish to say....quebrantar,etc la probatoria. You can i.e. quebrantar un regimen probatorio but no una probatoria. Just my humble opinion. :)

22. terepere Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    As for probation, you can have your pick. Libertad vigilada is just as valid as saying libertad a prueba. Just b/c in Spain it is defined diff. please consider that other Latin American countries do use libertad vigilada, lib. a prueba, etc. to mean probation.

Thank you dauda. Everything is clear now for me. And if in Latina American countries they use libertad vigilada/ libertad a prueba... then that should be the right translation. I agree.

Thanks again. I´ll add your options to my vocabulary.

23. nv1962

nv1962 Senior Member

Reno, Nevada (USA)
    es, nl, en-us
    Well, the thing with a probation sentence is that the burden is placed on you (edit: I mean "you" as the recipient of the sentence) to prove that you keep your part of the deal, with tangible proof. There is definitely a whiff of "evidence" involved, to which extent for example a probation officer may be appointed as the supervising agent.

Whatever the alternative, I strongly disagree with using synonyms for probation and parole. The literally translated term "conditional freedom" has an explicit reference to freedom, when there's a set of restrictions in place, moreover: probation sentences can and often do include jail terms.

I find it not only inaccurate, but misleading to use the same term for parole and probation. That's why I suggested "sentencia probatoria", as it's a sentence whereby the judge "reserves the right to revoke the privilege" granted to the accused, who must prove him/herself in compliance. It's the use of "libertad condicional" (or "libertad provisional" for that matter) as a translation of a feature of criminal justice in the United States that to which I strongly object.

The other way around (i.e., translating "libertad provisional" as used in LatAm as "probation") is less debatable, IMO.

Edited afterward, to add this clarification: I like "sentencia provisional" for probation sentence also, as it expresses nicely that there's a built-in right to review, if and when violation of probation is established. So, it's specifically the use of the word "libertad" when in reference to probation, to which I respectfully submit my disagreement, with probably a majority of fellow court interpreters. And probably it's redundant, but just in case, I add: for parole, I agree that "libertad condicional" is perfectly acceptable, as is "libertad provisional".

24. zaavik Junior Member

English USA
    El problema surge del uso de sentencia, condena y libertad. Segun el codigo de Arizona, por lo menos, al inculpado se le considera 'condenado' porque la sentencia condenatoria se dicta al declararlo responsable al mismo. Sin embargo, se suspende la imposicion de la pena durante el plazo a prueba (probatoria) para que el reo pueda demostrar su decision de reincidir. Obviamente, si durante el plazo probatorio vuelve a delinquir el procesado, el tribunal aun tiene competencia para imponer una pena de prision.
    Los distingos son entre:
    el regimen a prueba o probatorio (probation a la norteamericana) Aqui se evita "libertad" porque es poco comun que se le excarcele al individuo a esas alturas, sea por motivos migratorios o de sancion
    la condena condicional (suspended sentence or probation a la latinoamericana)
    la libertad preparatoria (parole, a la mexicana)
    la libertad condicional (parole, a la latinoamericana)

25. dauda98 Senior Member

United States

26. unica91 Junior Member

Southern California-USA
    Spanish -Chile
    My preference is
    probation: condena condicional
    parole: libertad preparatoria

27. Dani California

Dani California Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    Estoy totalmente de acuerdo contigo, Unica91, al menos en lo que respecta a España, las figuras correspondientes serían la condena condicional para la probation y la libertad condicional para parole.
    La primera (condena condicional) supone la suspensión de la ejecución de la pena de prisión, condicionada -de ahí su nombre-, a que el sujeto no vuelva a delinquir y/o cumpla con las demás condiciones que se le impongan durante cierto periodo de tiempo (el condenado normalmente no llega a poner el pie en la cárcel). Solo se prevé para delitos menos graves.
    Por el contrario la libertad condicional se aplica a quien ya ha iniciado el cumplimiento de la pena de prisión (y ha superado cierto lapso temporal: 2/3 o 3/4 partes, entre otros requisitos) y es puesto en libertad durante el tiempo que resta hasta la fecha de su licenciamiento definitivo, debiendo cumplir durante dicho periodo de tiempo con ciertas condiciones, bajo apercibimiento de revocación del beneficio en caso de incumplir las mismas.
    Un saludo

28. HECTOR EMILIO New Member

SPANISH UNITED STATES
    Probation is a sentence ordered by a judge, usually instead of, but sometimes in addition to, serving time in jail. It allows the convicted person to live in the community for a specified period of time, sometimes under the supervision of a probation officer, depending on the circumstances and the seriousness of the crime.

Parole is the conditional release of a prison inmate after serving part (if not all) of his or her sentence, allowing the inmate to live in the community under supervision of the parole period. The decision to grant parole is the responsibility, in a majority of states, of a board of parole or commission. Violation of the conditions of parole result in revocation and re-imprisonment.

Pardon means that the individual is fully forgiven from all the legal consequences of his crime and his conviction.

29. bruji_mariona New Member

Madrid
    Spanish
    Hola, larubia

Unica91 tiene razón. en el sistema penitenciario español, la parole sería la equivalente a la libertad condicional española y la probation sería una institución jurídica parecida a la suspensión de la ejecución de la pena privativa de libertad española, más conocida como condena o remisión condicional.

Un saludo.

30. pachanga7 Senior Member

Southeast U.S.
    U.S. English
    Supongo que otros ya lo han sugerido pero quiero precisar que sí hay condena con probation; el/la juez halla al acusado culpable del delito e impone una pena de carcel suspendida por un plazo de x días bajo ciertas condiciones, ese plazo se llama "probation."

31. Dani California

Dani California Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    De acuerdo con Pachanga, en el sistema español nuestra condena condicional equivale en cierta medida a vuestra probation y presupone la existencia de un procedimiento penal y una condena impuesta en sentencia firme que queda en suspenso, a expensas que durante cierto periodo de tiempo el condenado cumpla con determinados requisitos.
    Son muchas las inexactitudes vertidas por Terepere en ese post pues además de lo que dice (totalmente inexacto respecto de la condena condicional)
    A) El cuarto grado no existe en el sistema penitenciario español, es construcción doctrinal que lo identifica con la libertad condicional, luego no cabe hablar de cuarto grado y libertad condicional sino cuarto grado o libertad condicional (y siempre teniendo presente que ni la Ley Orgánica General Penitenciaria ni su Reglamento distinguen más grados de tratamiento penitenciario que el primero, segundo y tercero)
    B) La libertad provisional se concede a quienes han estado detenidos o en situación de prisión preventiva (presos preventivos), nunca a los penados (condenados) a quienes sí se les puede suspender la condena.
    C) No hay medidas de amonestación en el sistema de penas español.

32. LEGALBEAGLE New Member

Spanish-México
    I would clear up the fact that usually a judge does impose a sentence, however the judge determines that the person deserves a chance and grants him liberty during a probationary period (two years or more) in which he will promise to behave. If the person does not comply and does anything that the judge tells him not to, then his sentence is re-instated and the probation ends.
    Esta puesto en libertad a "prueba"

"parole d'honneur" a French term which means word of honor or palabra de honor, the term has been shortened to "parole".

This is something a convict promises to a "parole" board after having served usually a part of the term he was sentenced to.

33. pachanga7 Senior Member

Southeast U.S.
    U.S. English
    Yes, and you're talking about the legal system in the U.S., correct?

And you're saying that in Mexico you would call the equivalent to probation "libertad a prueba"?

34. LEGALBEAGLE New Member

Spanish-México
    In Baja California Sur, Mexico for example it is called "semilibertad" or "tratamiento en libertad" it is a "probationary" (regimen de semilibertad) period in whcih the person is found guilty and given an opportunity to be free under certain condition and having posted a "caucion" (bail).

ARTÍCULO 43.- La pena de prisión impuesta en sentencia definitiva, puede ser sustituida por el Juzgador, atendiendo a las condiciones personales del delincuente, sus antecedentes y el daño
    causado, por un régimen de semilibertad o de tratamiento en libertad, trabajo en favor de la comunidad, multa o confinamiento, siempre que otorgue caución bastante para garantizar que cumplirá
    las condiciones propias de la medida y de acuerdo con las siguientes normas:

(...)

Capitulo III (chapter 3) CAPÍTULO III
    SUSTITUTIVOS DE LA PENA DE PRISIÓN

"REGIMEN DE SEMILIBERTAD" WOULD BE MORE APPROPRIATE INSTEAD OF LIBERTAD A PRUEBA

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2011
  35. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
  36. Don Joaquin Escriche Senior Member

New York
    English (US), Spanish (Arg)
    Para los que defienden la primacía de la simplicidad sobre la complejidad les ofrezco la siguiente fórmula de traducción basada en la equivalencia natural de la gran mayoría de los 20 países hispanohablantes:

probation: condena condicional
    parole: libertad condicional

Para los que defienden la primacía de la complejidad sobre la simplicidad para llegar a tener un conocimiento profundizado, ¡a remangarze las camisas!

Este hilo ya viene hinchado con muchos comentarios; algunos buenos, otros no tan buenos y otros bastante malos en lo que respecta la fidelidad de las voces analizadas. Mi intención con esta incorporación al hilo de parole vs. probation es compartir con ustedes mis conocimientos sobre el tema para ayudarlos a dilucidar los dislates semánticos que aún prevalecen en la actualidad.

Probation vs. Parole
    Una gran diferencia entre las dos instituciones norteamericanas es, según Black’s Law Dictionary (6ª ed.), la siguiente: “probation tiene relación con la acción judicial tomada antes de que cierre la puerta de la prisión, en tanto que parole tiene relación con la acción ejecutiva tomada después de que la puerta haya encerrado al condenado”.

Cabe destacar que muy pocas jurisdicciones de los EE.UU. siguen la trayectoria tradicional que sostiene que la probation es una suspensión condicional de la pena privativa de libertad y la mayoría han adoptado la tendencia que comenzó a desarrollarse en la década de los 70 del siglo XX que sostiene que la probation es una pena en sí.

Condena Condicional vs. Libertad Condicional
    Si bien dichas instituciones se confunden en inglés, ocurre algo parecido con las denominaciones de las instituciones análogas en español. Dentro de la acepción de condena condicional, en su Diccionario enciclopédico de Derecho usual, Cabanellas nos informa lo siguiente: “Constituye vulgarismo jurídico confundir esta figura con la de la libertad condicional, y más aún con la libertad provisional (v.). Sin perjuicio de ampliar los respectivos conceptos en las voces citadas, indicaremos como substancial diferenciación que la libertad provisional se otorga durante el proceso; la condena condicional se traduce en la suspensión de la condena (requiere fallo y no haber empezado a cumplir la pena); mientras la libertad condicional se concede a los que, ya sufriendo condena, son liberados anticipadamente, en forma condicionada por su buena conducta”.

Previamente, en este hilo, helenduffy hizo mención de un artículo que analiza la traducción de la voz probation como así la de parole que, efectivamente, se publicó en The ATA Chronicle de octubre de 2002, titulado English-Spanish Dictionaries on Probation. Si les interesa leer este artículo hito, lo pueden descargar con el siguiente enlace: http://www.BilingualLawDictionary.com/probationarticle.pdf.

Traducción de Probation y Parole
    El mismo autor de dicho artículo ha cambiado su postura por un pelín con respecto a la traducción de probation por lo que se ve en su obra Tomasi’s Law Dictionary (2009), cuya acepción es de alrededor de 3000 palabras y comienza de la forma siguiente:

probation. 1. (sentence) condena condicional, pena de vigilancia. 2. (suspended sentence) condena de ejecución condicional, suspensión condicional de la pena. 3. (generic) sujeción a la vigilancia de la autoridad, libertad vigilada, régimen de vigilancia, período de prueba, régimen a prueba, tratamiento en libertad. 4. (colloquial) probación, probatoria. 5. (labor law) período de prueba.
    Sentence. La pena de vigilancia es un tipo de condena condicional (propiamente dicha) que obliga al penado a someterse bajo la vigilancia de un patronato encargado de su seguimiento y cumplir con las condiciones impuestas por el juez mientras se encuentre en libertad en lugar de una pena privativa de libertad. Si el reo beneficiado con la condena condicional vuelve a reincidir en el delito o quebrantar alguna de las condiciones impuestas por el tribunal durante el plazo establecido, será sujeto a una modificación de la pena de vigilancia originalmente impuesta o a la revocación de ésta y se le impondrá una pena privativa de libertad correspondiente al delito por el cual se lo declaró culpable o bien al delito de quebrantamiento de la condena condicional (violation of probation).
    Suspended Sentence. Institución que permite a un reo cumplir con el plazo de una pena privativa de libertad sin purgarla en prisión estando…. (Copiado de http://www.BilingualLawDictionary.com/probation.htm.)

En su diccionario jurídico-penal, inglés-español Tomasi explica la diferencia entre la condena condicional (tradicional), o mejor dicho condena de ejecución condicional porque significa suspender condicionalmente una pena privativa de libertad, no una pena condicional en sí, y la condena condicional (propiamente dicha), en el sentido del Derecho penal moderno por lo que, efectivamente, constituye una pena en sí. El autor asímismo hace mención de los términos genéricos que se usan en el español jurídico, p. ej., toda condena condicional o libertad condicional es vigilada, sea por un tribunal, un patronato u otro funcionario o persona, nombrada por el tribunal o establecida por la ley. O sea, las denominaciones de la tercera acepción sirven para denominar probation (condena condicional) como así parole (libertad condicional) porque son genéricas.

parole. libertad condicional, libertad preparatoria (Méx.), libertad bajo palabra (P.R.), libertad anticipada (Ur.), (generic) libertad vigilada.

Cabe precisar dos cosas con respecto a los regionalismos señalados:
    1. Si bien el regionalismo puertorriqueño es equiparable a parole, en el resto de los países hispanohablantes tendría un significado literal, o sea lo que equivale a libertad bajo caución juratoria (release on own recognizance).
    2. Si bien el regionalismo uruguayo es equiparable a parole, en el resto de los países hispanohablantes vendría a ser un término genérico para libertad condicional, pues, ésta es la que se otorga anticipadamente al reo que haya cumplido con la mayor parte de su pena de prisión bajo buena conducta. En otras palabras, Uruguay es el único país que ha tipificado la figura procesal con la denominación libertad anticipada.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  37. Don Joaquin Escriche Senior Member

New York
    English (US), Spanish (Arg)
    Malas Traducciones a Evitar
    También proveniente de Tomasi’s Law Dictionary:

Evítese el término “libertad condicional”, en la traducción de probation, porque su significado básico es la libertad que se le da a un penado luego de haber cumplido la mayor parte de su pena de prisión bajo buena conducta (equivalente de parole) y ha quedado establecido este significado con el término señalado en los códigos nacionales de Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, República Dominicana, Ecuador, El Salvador, España, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay y Venezuela. (Enlace para descargar las figuras procesales comparadas a la parole de los 20 países hispanohablantes: http://www.BilingualLawDictionary.com/parole.pdf.)

Evítese el término “libertad probatoria”, en la traducción de probation, porque su significado básico es la que cada una de las partes tiene para probar cualquier hecho de interés para el objeto del proceso por cualquier medio de prueba lícito. Bolivia, Costa Rica, República Dominicana, Nicaragua y Paraguay han establecido dicho término y significado en sus respectivos códigos procesales penales.

Evítese la voz “libertad provisional”, en la traducción de probation, a raíz de que en el español jurídico significa la que un juez o tribunal le concede a un imputado en lugar de prisión preventiva mientras se lo persiga por una acción penal (equivalente de pretrial release).

Evítese la voz “semilibertad”, en la traducción de probation, a raíz de que en el español jurídico significa la que se le otorga a un prisionero, que esté cerca de extinguir su pena de prisión o porque ésta no es necesaria en su totalidad, para que pueda trabajar o estudiar fuera de la prisión durante ciertas horas por día (equiparable a furlough-release program o work-release program).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011