1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

participé au départ

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Larissa2000, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Larissa2000 Senior Member

English USA
    Hi,

I wanted to check something. When someone writes regarding a race, that a person:

a participé au départ

without more information, isn't it unclear whether the person finished the race or not?

example: Le maire Jean Fortin a participé au départ de la marche avec Marie-Pier

Le team Landi Triathlon a participé au départ du triathlon de Plouescat qui s'est déroulé dimanche.

If you are not given any more information, do you conlude they must have also finished the race? Or you simply don't know?

Thanks.

2. Nikomot

Nikomot Senior Member

Province de Québec
    Français (québécois)
    Hi Larissa,

As you say, without further details, nothing indicates that these persons finished the race. I guess the fact that the race was actually completed or not is not important in such contexts...

Hope this helps!

3. Philipides

Philipides Senior Member

Français - France
    I simply don't know. I guess that in most of the case it doesn't matter. They don't really make the race with the others (e.g. the mayor Jean Fortin, who might have stopped after the first bend)

4. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    No way to tell.

To me, it's even unclear if maire Jean Fortin raced at all.
    He was there, but maybe he only fired the starting gun and went home.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. tacitus1 Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    American English
    Larissa, you are right, the example sentence you cite is unclear on this point. There, "a participé au départ" might simply mean that the mayor "was present as the march got under way / for the start of the march".

6. Larissa2000 Senior Member

English USA
    Very good, thanks so much for the clarifications!