Participial phrases?

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by trigel, Nov 6, 2012.

1. trigel Senior Member

English - US, Korean
    Does Modern Hebrew use participial phrases/clauses? (I'm actually pretty confident in my guess that participial phrases are used in much the same way as in European languages but I just wanted to check)

"Exhausted by the work, he fell asleep on the sofa."
    Is "מותש מהעבודה, הוא נרדם על הספה" a roughly correct translation?

2. GeriReshef

GeriReshef Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    מותש is probably the correct verb according to the dictionaries, that's why most of the people will tend to use less formal verbs which will express better the situation: אני הרוג or אני גמור or אני שפוך.
    I guess most of us will say נרדם מול הטלוויזיה or something like that which will hint that he fell asleep unvoluntarily.
    Other examples:
    קיבלתי חום = I was shocked
    עשית לי חור בראש = you are disturbing me or doing too much noise
    עשית/גרמת לי להתקפת לב = you've scared me
    עלה לי הדם לראש = I bacame very angry

3. anipo

anipo Senior Member

Israel
    Spanish (Arg)- German
    Your translation is absolutely correct, Trigel.
    In colloquial language somebody could use the words Geri mentioned, especially when speaking about himself. But I don't think that anybody would describe someone as being שפוך in writing or in a little bit more formal conversation.
    And welcome to the forum!

4. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Such form exists, your Hebrew translation is excellent. Yet:

* In modern Hebrew the present participle became the present tense. This is how modern language teachers refer to this form (rather than talking about perfect, participle, imperfect, as European scholars do for Hebrew), and therefore most modern Hebrew speakers feel that there's no participle (as a standalone, class A citizen, form) is the language

* A more common phrasing would be something like הוא היה מותש מהעבודה ולכן נרדם על הספה. That is, forcing the participle to behave as either an adjective or a verb. This makes sense because the present participle grammatical form serves for all three: participle, adjective, noun. Also in other Semitic languages. This is true for old and modern Hebrew.