1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

pasos de quebrada

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by Jorden, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Jorden New Member

Belize
    Spanish, English
    Can anyone help me with the translation from Spanish to English of the following phrase: "pasos de quebrada". The phrase is used in the context of piping water or water conduction from a source:
    "Los pasos de quebrada pueden tener estructuras sobre las que se asientan los tubos, ser colgantes o subfluviales, con longitudes variables."

Thank you

2. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    I think it means a stepped waterway like they use to allow fish to swim upstream. It is called a fish ladder or water ladder I believe. Canal locks is another possibility I guess.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  3. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
  4. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I think it's just talking about stream beds/channels or (natural) watercourses.

5. vicdark

vicdark Senior Member

U.S.A.
    Español, Bolivia
    To me, it sounds like the structures suporting water pipes over ravines. But as usual I can be mistaken.

6. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Well, but what about it saying they can also be "subfluviales"? Doesn't that sound like there is or could be water flowing through the "paso de quebrada"?

7. vicdark

vicdark Senior Member

U.S.A.
    Español, Bolivia
    K,

I did not read "subfluviales" initially. Thanks for the correction.

In this case maybe just "ravine crossing" will do it. This is the general term used for oil pipelines and gaslines over and under rivers.

8. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

9. Jorden New Member

Belize
    Spanish, English
    Thank you k-in-sc and vicdark for discussing my term. To me "ravine crossing" makes a lot of sense for the translation. It is crossing the "quebrada" not running lengthwise because if it would run lengthwise then there would not be the need to use "pasos de quebrada."

10. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English