pass like two ships in the night

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Muhranda, May 4, 2008.

1. Muhranda Junior Member

Illinois USA
    English_USA
    what is the Spanish equal to the English expression: to pass like two ships in the night

pasar como dos barcos en la noche/ en la oscuridad

is it a literal translation or is there a cultural equivalent expression?

thank you

2. Ghostface_Killah Senior Member

Sevilla
    Sevilla, España - Español(Andaluz)
    What does it mean? Does it mean to pass silently?

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  3. Muhranda Junior Member

Illinois USA
    English_USA
    it means two ships (or persons) traveling in opposite directions could meet, but sometimes, if they might miss each other, if they pass at night they do not get to see each other for the brief moment they cross paths. sounds kind of romantic in a missed connections kind of way.

4. PALOMA BB Senior Member

Canarias
    ESPAÑA
    Hola!
    Lo se me ocurre es poco exacto, "dejar pasar el tren" (perder la oportunidad),
    pero no implica desencuentro.

Tú qué dices ghostface?

5. Ghostface_Killah Senior Member

Sevilla
    Sevilla, España - Español(Andaluz)
    Yo prefiero no hablar cuando no sé nada al respecto xD no puedo ayudar en este caso
    I know what it means and I am trying to find an equivalent expression in Spanish but I think it doesn't exists...

6. María Madrid

María Madrid Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish Spain
    Tienes un hilo antiguo con el mismo título. No parece haber nada equivalente como frase hecha de uso común. Saludos, :)

Ships in the night

7. Muhranda Junior Member

Illinois USA
    English_USA
    Eso es. Mil gracias.

8. María Madrid

María Madrid Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish Spain
    Muhranda, it's always worth to check previous threads using the forum search tool and some keywords or just looking up the words in the WR dictionary, you'll get not only the translation but also links to related threads. Saludos, :)