'Passe par la mise'??

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Ardnaxela, May 22, 2005.

1. Ardnaxela

Ardnaxela Senior Member

England
    British English
    The extract below is from an article about France's actions in favour of peace and democracy abroad, including their involvement in the Côte d'Ivoire crisis. I've re-read it at least a thousand times and, though I think I understand each word individually, the sentence as a whole makes no sense to me. It's the 'passe par la mise' bit that really throws me:

"...le renforcement de l'Etat de droit passe par la mise en réseau des professionels du droit, la formation continue des magistrats et l'aide à la tenue d'élections libres et fiables."

I've obviously missed something key here - if someone could enlighten me, I'd be very grateful!

2. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    mise en réseau = networking

3. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

I'm not sure I'm fluent enough in English to translate this. At least I can explain.
    passe par : for the state power to be reinforced one has to resort to a few actions which are "la mise en réseau des professionnels du droit, la formation continue des magistrats et l'aide à la tenue d'élections libres et fiables".
    (literal translation of passe par : "passes through"/ is only feasible through/ by the means of)

la mise en réseau : one has to build up a network of legal professionals

mise is a noun derived from the verb "mettre" (put) Hence, mettre en réseau, literaly put in a network, gather in a network, make a network out of

Hope this helps.

4. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

thanks to Gil's suggestion, this is more or less what you get
    The reinforcement of the sate can only be achieved through a networking of (les professionels du droit) and so forth
    Now it's for you to rewrite this in "native-souding" English :)

5. Ardnaxela

Ardnaxela Senior Member

England
    British English
    Thanks, I didn't know that. I may be being slow here, but the 'passe par' bit still confuses me. Does the phrase as a whole mean: 'the strengthening of the right wing state has come about through the networking of right-wing professionals, and the training of magistrates to help with the holding of fair, free elections continues'?

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but the sentence just seems to read very strangely to me.

Thanks for your help so far.

6. Ardnaxela

Ardnaxela Senior Member

England
    British English
    Thanks, LV4-26, I hadn't read your message when I was writing my response. It makes much more sense now.

7. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    "état de droit" does not mean "right wing state" but "rule of law"

Domaine(s) : - droit
    français
    État de droit n. m.
    Équivalent(s)
    English
    rule of law

Définition :
    Situation d'une société soumise à un ensemble de règles juridiques et dans laquelle le respect du Droit est garanti à tous.
    Note(s) :
    L'État de droit se caractérise par ses diverses institutions et techniques juridiques : séparation des pouvoirs, indépendance de la magistrature, contrôle au plan constitutionnel des lois et actes administratifs et respect des droits de la personne.

[Office québécois de la langue française, 2003]

8. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Sorry, I'd missed the "de droit" bit when I'd first read the sentence.

I second Gil's definition of an "état de droit".

9. Ardnaxela

Ardnaxela Senior Member

England
    British English
    Thank you both for your help - I'd have completely misunderstood this without your assistance!

10. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Hi Ardnaxela,
    can we safely assume that now you understand that similarly, professionnels du droit does not mean right-wing professionals, but legal eagles ?

11. Ardnaxela

Ardnaxela Senior Member

England
    British English
    Yes, I'd figured that out, thank you.

12. Ardnaxela

Ardnaxela Senior Member

England
    British English
    Yes, I'd figured that out, thank you.