past tense of "ride"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sekaijuuni, Aug 21, 2007.

1. sekaijuuni Senior Member

福島
    United States, English
    "I've never ridden a motorcycle."
    "I've never rode a motorcycle."

To me, "ridden" sounds like a made-up word but "rode" just sounds ig'nant. Which one is correct?

2. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    Ride is an irregular verb.

The past tense is "rode": I rode my motorcycle into town.
    The past participle (which would be used in combination with forms of have) is "ridden": She had never ridden a motorcyce before.

Both "rode" and "ridden" sound completely natural, and not remotely "ignorant".

What would sound ignorant and odd, though, would be to treat "ride" as a regular verb, and declare "I rided my motorcycle today" or "I have rided my motorcycle often."

3. konungursvia Senior Member

Toronto
    Canada (English)
    Rode is the past tense, ridden is the past participle. "I have rode" is common enough, but it is incorrect.

4. mplsray Senior Member

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate gives rode--and also rid--as "chiefly dialect(al)" past participles of ride.

5. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Quite so. I found this (mis) usage to be common in the northeast corner of Colorado where I lived around 1970 and many people kept horses.

6. Huw Junior Member

English
    It's also a common mistake in parts of Wales and especially Scotland too I've noticed. My sister lives in Glasgow and I've noticed that the past tense of irregular verbs are commonly used as the past participle there. "I've went to..." sounds really strange to me.