Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Frank Hawk, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Frank Hawk New Member

USA English
    is there an Italian word "patino", if so what does it mean?
  2. Frank Hawk New Member

USA English
    What does "patino" mean?
  3. PIPPI_RM Senior Member

Italy Italian
    Hello Frank Hawk and welcome.

I can't recall a word such as this existing in italian, unless it is a surname.

The two more similar words which come to my mind are:

patina = gloss, glaze...

patio, which I find is said the same way in english.

You know the context where you found the word, so you can judge better than anyone else which of these 2 are nearer to the one you are searching.....

In other words, if you need more help, please provide the context.

4. Frank Hawk New Member

USA English
    Dear Pippi,

Thanks for the info. The person who asked the question had recently attended a Christening and was the godfather. He was trying to write a nice letter to the child's parents who speak, primarily Italian, but couldn't get the words straight as he hasn't been back to Italy in many years. I was able to suggest the Italian word for godfather, but not for the child being Christened. I have been studying Spanish for the last two years and as I'm sure you know there are similarities but plenty of differences also between Spanish and Italian. My interest lies in linguistics and cognitive science which is why I am studying yet another language. Thanks again for your advice.

5. PIPPI_RM Senior Member

Italy Italian
    Hi Frank

is 'patino' spanish? I searched it in some spanish vocabularies and couldn't find it.....

Were you looking for the italian word for 'baby'? Do I understand well'?

That would be 'bambino' as a general term, not sure it would fit well the wishes in a letter, though.

As for the differences between Spanish and Italian, strangely enough I can understand fairly well if I hear speaking catalan (more than castellano, because it is even more similar to italian) but if I read spanish (castellano) I have no clue for a lot of words.

6. walnut

walnut Senior Member

Italy - Italian
    Hi Frank and Pippi :
    My 2 cents: a recapitulation...
    The Godfather is il Padrino or Compare. The Godmather is la Madrina or Comare / Commare. The child being christened is il "figlioccio" or la "figlioccia". I'm sure there are regional names for this, but at the moment I can't remember one!!!
    Ciao! Hope it helped, Walnut

My dictionary says:
    chi è stato tenuto a battesimo o a cresima, rispetto al padrino o alla madrina
  7. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Walnut, I guess you mixed wedding & christening.
    Padrino and madrina are for christening, while comare and compare are the witnesses at a wedding. Though, nowadays comare and compare are not used anymore... at least by Northern Italians.
  8. Brambles Senior Member

Ireland, english
    Hello everyone,

I have just come across the word patino in a book I'm reading...I think it refers to a boat of some sort? Does anyone know what kind of boat it could be called in english?

Here is the sentence:

Uscivano tutte le mattine sul mare in patino.

Thank you for any help with this!
  9. miri

miri Senior Member

This is a patino or pattino (the accent is on the second sillable). The English equivalent should be " twin-hull pleasure boat".
  10. effeundici Senior Member

Italian - Tuscany
    Patino is a word used only in some regions of Italy, I think. For sure in Tuscany. It's the boat used by life guards to rescue people or simply by bathers to navigate near the coast. It's moved by raws.
  11. Lavezzi Senior Member

I think it's the same...
  12. lingogal Senior Member

U.S. English
    Hope you don't mind a little correction F11. :)
  13. effeundici Senior Member

Italian - Tuscany
    Thank you! I'm eager to receive corrections even though I dream not to need them!
  14. Brambles Senior Member

Ireland, english
    Thank you all very much!
  15. gringomalcriado New Member

Toronto, Canada
    English - North American
    I believe it could be dialect. "Patino" means godfather. I used to call my godparents "patino" and "patina". I was also watching "Pinocchio" last night on TV. He called a women who was like a fairy goodmother as "patina" maybe someone else can chime in.