Patria Potestad

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Pearl, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Pearl Senior Member

Barcelona (Catalonia)
    Spain - Catalan, Spanish, English, Icelandic
    Hi Group!

Could any of you help me translate the expression into English?

2. Laguna New Member

I can not give you an answer but inorder to help English speakers I can explain that concept: It refers to someone's duties and responsibilities regarding children. Parents have "patria potestad" towards their children and, in case of divorced parentes, a court should decide who will hace "patria potestad" over them.

I hope it helps.
  3. LadyBlakeney

LadyBlakeney Senior Member

I'd say parental guardianship, but I don't know if there is a legal term.

Any native English speaker or law expert in the room? ;)
  4. Sandra Senior Member

Mexico - Spanish
    I am not sure, but the word that comes to my mind is Custody, so how does Parental Custody sound?
  5. dave

dave Senior Member

UK - English
    Yes, custody is what is awarded to a parent following a divorce, but really only has a sense of parental 'ownership' and control rather than duties and responsibilities. It may the best translation available though, but of course, as ever, it depends on the context!
  6. Vicki Senior Member

United States/English
    I agree with LadyB. "Guardianship" sounds right to me. (Presumably the "patria potestad" can be assigned to another relative or a legally appointd guardian, so "parental" might not be appropriate in the translation.)

Hope this helps.

7. LadyBlakeney

I believe Vicky is right.
  8. Pearl Senior Member

Barcelona (Catalonia)
    Spain - Catalan, Spanish, English, Icelandic
    Thank you all for your input.

I'll try to explain myself better.

Whena a divorce or a separation occurs, the court decide whether the mother or the father shall have the Custody of the children.

That means both parents can have a relationship with their children but one of them has the "responsability" of looking after them, although both of them have the real responsability called Patria Potestad, when taking decisions regarding health, education,....

In this case, the separation was severe due to Gender Violence, the father lost his "Patria Potestad", so the mother is entitled to take her own decisions, without having to inform the father about illnesses, nor educational possibilities.

I was wondering ... perhaps laws are different at this point in England and US.
    Could anyone give more information?
  9. funnydeal Senior Member

Mexico, D.F.
    Mexico / Español
    La traducción en términos legales es:

ejercicio de la patria potestad = "exercise of parental authority"

custodia de los hijos = "custody of the children"

Patria potestad y custodia son diferentes derechos de acuerdo a la ley, en el sistema legal germano-romano. No tengo idea como es en el sistema legal anglosajón.
  10. Zephyrus Senior Member

Peru - Spanish
    Maybe these can help you:

Parental rights and duties
    Parental authority

11. David Senior Member

The mother retained "sole custody" of the children, the father, because of a history of spousal abuse or domestic violence, having lost his "parental rights."
  12. LadyBlakeney

David, could you say: "...retained sole guardianship of the children..."?

Thank you in advance.
  13. Shuliet New Member

Argentina Español
    Hi People! I´m new here. I was just translating some legal documents, and found by chance the expression "patria potestad" in the Legal Dictionary. The translations proposed are "paternal power" and "parental rights and duties".

Hope it helps

14. gian_eagle

gian_eagle Senior Member

Peru - Castellano
    parental guardianship se utiliza bastante.
  15. tmoore Junior Member

smithfield N.C USA
    Spain- US
    Patria potestad... Parental authority."The patria potestas " over legitimate children not emancipated, belongs to the father and the mother jointly.If there shoul be any disagreement between husband and wife the issue will be decided by the court.
    The patria potestad ends 1) With the death of the parents 2) Through emancipation of the child 3)By adoption of the child by another

Source: Dahl's Law Dictionary---- Spanish--English/ Ingles -Español
  16. elena1980 Junior Member

These explication are very complete, but don't confuse "patria potestad" and "custodia" (like at the first opinions) !!
  17. tmoore Junior Member

smithfield N.C USA
    Spain- US
    Elena, I consulted my Dahl's Law dictionary , and that one, was the definition given for "Patria Potestad" Have you found another definition more suitable ?
  18. elena1980 Junior Member

No, your definition is perfect, I referred to the first ones that confused "Patria Potestad" and custody (Laguna, Lady Blackney, Sandra, Dave, Vicky, Pearl..) (in divorces, the judge decides about the "custody" no about "patria potestad")

Sorry for my bad english (If you want you can correct me)
  19. gian_eagle

gian_eagle Senior Member

Peru - Castellano
    entonces al final

patria potestad es "parental custody" o "parental guardianship"? :S
  20. máxima_estrella

máxima_estrella Senior Member

US English
  21. nv1962

nv1962 Senior Member

Reno, Nevada (USA)
    es, nl, en-us
    Hmmm... How about using custody rights, as it references both the notions of legal and physical custody? The translation offered by Alcaraz Varó / Hughes is also interesting: parental authority.
  22. sunheat Junior Member

I think patria potestas makes more sense.
  23. the boss Banned

Creo que el término adecuado es legal custody

Legal custody of a child means having the right and the obligation to make decisions about a child's upbringing. A parent with legal custody can make decisions about schooling, religion, and medical care, for example. In many states, courts regularly award joint legal custody, which means that the decision making is shared by both parents.
  24. Freyre Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    Hola a todos.
    Para Gian Eagle:
    Custody es custodia o guardia y custodia (en las leyes españolas se habla de guardia y custodia que se traduce en inglés por custody).
    Patria potestad se traduce de acuerdo con el Blak's Law por Parental Responsibility.
    En el derecho francés la patria potestad se llama "autorité parentale". En consecuencia como segunda opción no está mal "Parental Authority".
    Me gusta más parental responsibility porque la patria potestad implica derechos y deberes.
  25. silvia fernanda

silvia fernanda Senior Member

pienso que parental rights esta bien

26. máxima_estrella

máxima_estrella Senior Member

US English
    A mí me gusta más "parental responsibility" (según Black's, que siempre es una autoridad!) que "parental authority", pero el segundo todavía me vale.

"Parental custody" se entiende, como apunta Freyre, como el cuidado y custodia de un menor, por lo menos en España.
  27. luckyesther New Member

Guatemala, Spanish
    I would say parental guardianship...
  28. the boss Banned

29. IBR Senior Member

Mexicali, B.C., México
    México Lindo y Querido - Español

Patria Potestas was taken from Latin, and to my point of view, it gives the impression of a decent translation. I´d go for this one.:)
  30. HesterPrynne

HesterPrynne Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spain, Spanish
  31. David Senior Member

This one has been around since May, but patria potestad refers to the rights of a parent to exercise authority over a child: the usual English translation would be "parental rights," or "parental authority." Parens patriae means "father of the nation," and refers to the right of certain officials to act on behalf of the whole people (el pueblo, la nación), as, for example, an Attorney General who takes action against some company for defrauding the public, and invokes his authority to take the action under his parens patriae authority.

Where's Hester's A?
  32. Dani California

Dani California Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
  33. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

UK English
    These days in the UK we talk about parental rights and responsibility. If you are on the child's birth certificate as the child's parent you get this automatically.
  34. emiliameow

emiliameow Junior Member

Los Angeles, California
    Cuba/USA, Spanish/English
    It can be translated as guardianship, custody or parental rights. All three are possible translations into English. You need to look at the context.
  35. silvia fernanda

silvia fernanda Senior Member

Hola gian eagle,

En mi humilde opinión me parece que parental guardianship, no.
    ¿Qué te parece: paretal rights, parental authority, parental tesponssibility? Creo que cualquiera de esas
    podría ser.
  36. David Senior Member

Patria potestad "can be translated as guardianship, custody or parental rights. All three are possible translations into English. You need to look at the context."

With all due respect, patria potestad may be exercised by a guardian, a custodian, a natural or adoptive parent, a foster parent, or even the state itself, depending on the circumstances of a given minor (un menor determinado) but patria potestad remains parental authority, regardles of who is endowed with it and exercises it. It can be translated in any number of ways, but they would be, in my opinion, incorrect. And parens patriae, mentioned above, is a wholely different concept.
  37. emiliameow

emiliameow Junior Member

Los Angeles, California
    Cuba/USA, Spanish/English
  38. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

UK English
    The way this is translated depends on who your audience is. The legal concepts have different names in different countries. Also (at least in the UK) parents who don't work in family law will call it something else again. Non experts still talk about having custody of their children (for example when they divorce). However in terms of the law here, the relevant phrase is currently parental rights and responsibility.
  39. HesterPrynne

Madrid, Spain
    Spain, Spanish
    Ok, David, although if you read the Wikipedia link I provided, it seems that it has more meanings apart from "father of the nation." Of course, Wikipedia is not always right...
    As for my A, well, it's where it has always been:)
  40. David Senior Member

The post was "patria potestad." This has nothing to do with "parens patriae." Parens patriae is not about parental rights, it is about the authority of certain public officials to take action conocer, intervenir, actuar in a particular case. Patria potestad is "parental authority."

In doing legal translation, you must carefully distinguish between a particular term and its implications... Any of the individuals you name, guardian, tutor, foster parent, the state (through a social worker or the social welfare agency), may be vested with parens patriae, but who has the "parental rights and responsibility" or "parental authority" does not affect the meaning of the term, which defines a kind of authority.

A shoe is not a foot, and a foot is not a shoe. Neither is it a hoof (horseshoe) or a brake (brake shoe) or a deck of cards ("the shoe" used by the dealer in blackjack), any of which may be contained by a shoe.
  41. HesterPrynne

Madrid, Spain
    Spain, Spanish
    Thank you for your explanation, David, now understand the difference between both terms.
  42. IBR Senior Member

Mexicali, B.C., México
    México Lindo y Querido - Español
    El latin es usado ampliamente en el inglés, por lo que otra opción es PATRIA POTESTAS.

Espero te sirva.
  43. David Senior Member

Con todo respeto, el látin se usa muchísimo menos en el ejercicio anglo-americano (no, no es anglo-sajón, a menos que consideres que los latinos, que van para un tercio de la población, no sean norteamericanos de verdad), y mirando los expedientes de 5 casos recientes sobre el tema de custodia, tutela, etc., no encuentro patria potestas en los documentos de ninguno. Lo que se usa es "parental authority," "parental rights," y en español patria potestad. Lo que sí se usa es el francés jurídico de la época pos invasión normana, p.e. voir dire, petit jury, etc., y si hay algunos latinos --coram nobis, habeas corpus, corpus delecti, pro hac vice-- pero los términos latinos que se encuentran salpicados en los expedientes de los sistemas germano-romanos son mucho más escasos en inglés. Donde la traducción no cree ambiguedades, yo prefiero traducirlos; cuando no se pueden traducir, yo con frecuencia les adjuno una nota del traductor limitado a las definiciones que se encuentran en las autoridades aceptadas.
  44. spandph

spandph Senior Member

Hi all! Custody and Patria Potestad aren't the same thing. Here's what I found while translating a Divorce Decree:

Se le reconoce la custodia del hijo menor a la señora demandanda, tal*, mientres que la patria potestad será compartida entre las partes.

Custody of the minor child is accepted by the Respondent, Mrs. whoever*, while parental guardianship and responsibilities will be shared between both parties.

:) I hope that helps!
  45. melasa Senior Member

Seattle, USA
    English & Spanish, USA born
    Could tutela be used also depending on context?
  46. FERCHA Junior Member

Colombian Spanish
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  47. David Senior Member

parental authority, parental rights, or parental custody de acuerdo con el
    CONTEXTO... probablemente parental rights.

Parent en inglés es padres, no parientes ("relatives")
  48. FERCHA Junior Member

Colombian Spanish
    I have found that patria potestad is defined as parental responsibility but in many documents translated into spanish they have used the term responsabilidad parental, which is very literal (my humble opinion anyway!)
  49. davehuert

davehuert Senior Member

Patria potestad = Parental rights

[No necesariamente implica la custodia del (los) menor(es)]
  50. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA

It is parental responsibilities, or parental duties. It is simply the obligation of parents to take care of their children.