Pay-per-view plural

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ElfieL, Jan 21, 2013.

1. ElfieL New Member

FRENCH
    Hi,
    what's the plural form of "pay-per-view"?
    I am listing pay-per-view and feel it should be plural.

Is there a plural to this word? if so, what is it?

thanks!

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Please give us a sentence where you feel it should be plural.

3. ElfieL New Member

FRENCH
    All your pay-per-views since your last bill

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Well, not really a sentence ... no verb or full stop. And no context.

Was this something you wanted to put on a customer's bill? If so, I suppose you could use it, but normally I would expect something like "All your pay-per-view selections since your last bill."

5. ElfieL New Member

FRENCH
    I'm not using it in a sentence, but as a title, which reads "Pay-per-view" and underneath is a list of several films viewed as pay-per-view.
    So it'd be:

Pay-per-view(s) [title]
    Film title 1
    Film title 2 etc...

6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I would just leave it as a singular description: Comedy, Drama, Thriller, Pay-per-view.

No need for singulars -- treat them as adjectives. :)

7. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    I regard "pay-per-view" as an adjective.

I have no idea what "I am listing pay-per-view" means.

8. ElfieL New Member

FRENCH
    sdgraham - see above post (I copied and pasted below):
    "I'm not using it in a sentence, but as a title, which reads "Pay-per-view" and underneath is a list of several films viewed as pay-per-view.
    So it'd be:

Pay-per-view(s) [title]
    Film title 1
    Film title 2 etc..."

"Pay-per-view" can be both an adjective or a noun. In the Merriam-webster dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pay-per-view), it is a noun, but I have seen it defined as Noun or Adjective.

9. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Merriam-Webster is the source of all kinds of trash and tends to lean heavily towards modern massacre of the language.

Sometimes using an adjective as a noun works and sometimes not. It depends upon context - and you've now provided three.

See Copyright's suggestions.

10. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    You can use adjectives as the titles of columns as suggested above (Comedy, Drama, Pay-per-view, Free, Subscription, ...).
    If one column is pay-per-view movies and the other column is free movies, what would you like to call that? Frees? :eek:

11. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    "Pay-per-view" is obviously a noun, and MW gives a correct definition thereof:
    The institution/medium through which you order pay-per-view movies etc. is itself called "pay-per-view."

Here's the problem, though: EiffeL doesn't want to count the cable television services. Instead we want to count the number of purchases made through one such service. Here are the two possibilities, to me:
    We have to name the thing we're counting, and we're counting ​the films purchased or rented via pay-per-view.