PE Officer

Discussion in 'English Only' started by avenger26, Jan 20, 2013.

1. avenger26 Member

Good evening,

I am trying to make sense of a letter signed by a "PE Officer". It is a reply to a prospective Japanese student who would like to take English classes in this 'PE Officer' 's language school.
    That's why I am pretty sure he can't be "a Physical Education Officer"!
    Would you know?

Thank you for your insight.
  2. JuanEscritor

JuanEscritor Senior Member

English - AE
    I googled 'pe officer'. This thread was the second result. The first result was for a 'public education officer'.

Might this be the meaning? I otherwise have no idea...

3. velisarius Senior Member

British English (Sussex)
    Just a thought- E is next to R on the keyboard, so it's possible that it should be P.R. officer (public relations). I think if it were 'Public Education Officer' it might have been written out in full because it's a less well-known abbreviation.
  4. avenger26 Member

Thank you so much to you both. I don't think there was a typo, but who knows. So I'll keep both you answers in mind.
  5. JuanEscritor

JuanEscritor Senior Member

English - AE
    What is the school? Do they have a website? That might be a good place to start if you want to know more about what this title means.

6. avenger26 Member

Actually, it is not a 'real' letter but a kind of model version I found in a text book to practise laying out business letters. I got curious about the position of the person supposedly signing the letter.
    I'll keep looking for the most likely answer. Thanks.
  7. Cagey post mod

English - US
    This is important information about the source and it should have been given in the first post. We should also have been told where this fictitious language school was supposed to be located.

There is nothing in the first post to suggest that the letter was not an actual letter. The fact that it is fictitious makes a difference. The initials themselves may be fictitious, or based on a misunderstanding on the part of the textbook's author.
  8. avenger26 Member

I am sorry I was careless about the context. I will be more accurate in the future. Still, I don't think it is a mistake on the part of the creator of the letter. There a fictitious sender's name, then the position (PE Officer) is correctly laid out on the 'position line'. The school is supposed to be in London.
    Thank you for pointing out these oversights.