1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

peanut butter and jelly

Discussion in 'English Only' started by roniy, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roniy Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
    What does "peanut butter and jelly" mean?

I don't mean the food peanut butter and jelly but to the expresion.

I guess it's some kind of slang or something like ???

Anyone have any idea ?

Thanks

2. rsweet

rsweet Senior Member

English, North America
    It's a kind of sandwich that is the staple of American children. It reminds people (well Americans at least) of childhood, comfort food, simple things.

3. illuminaut Senior Member

San Francisco
    Germany
    Interesting, I wasn't aware of an expression involving peanut butter and jelly, but I'm looking forward to the answers. I was quite puzzled by the Family Guy joke about Peanut Butter & Jelly, you know the one where Brian dances in a banana costume to the tune of Buckwheat's "Peanut Butter & Jelly time", but I later learned that this was just a reference to a rather random animation that later became an internet phenomenon. I believe that the lyrics in Buckwheat's song are nonsensical.

PB&J sandwiches are both very American and very ordinary, so you could potentially form an expression where that combination is useful.

4. Chazzwozzer

Chazzwozzer Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    For the slang meaning, I recommend that you should chek this out. It may give you an idea, but please take the definitions with a grain of salt.

*excitedly, waits for natives to confirm the definitions*

5. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Well Chazz, whatever gets you excited.

If you want opinions of those "definitions," look at the page again and take note of the preponderance of "thumbs down" icons. You couldn't provide a better definition of what's wrong with urbandictionary dot com. Anybody can make up anything, put it there, and it gets the ball rolling.

As for the topic, this native speaker will patiently wait for the original poster to provide some context.

roniy? How about it?

6. roniy Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    If I could give context, I would.
    I just don't remmeber where i heard that but I know it wasn't the normal use (food). It sounded like slang.

7. roniy Senior Member

Brooklyn NY

Thank you ... going to look at that :)

8. rsweet

rsweet Senior Member

English, North America
    I found the link illuminaut talks about here. Hmmm, maybe Chaz is not so far off? :eek: This dancing banana :eek: just says, "peanut butter & jelly" over and over, then adds "peanut butter and jelly with a baseball bat"!

This could be nonsense, but if it isn't, I don't like where it's going. Eeeeewww. :eek: :thumbsdown:

9. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    I have a favor to ask. If you are going to use references to popular culture or whatever these terms come from, please give a little explanation. I am sure that many English language learners are as much in the dark as I am about the following:

Family Guy?

Buckwheat?

No, I don't know the one where Brian dances in a banana costume.

I don't have any idea who this Brian might be.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge of these things. If they cast light on the possible slang meanings of peanut butter and jelly, I'm all in favor of mentioning them, but with a little more explanation of whatever it is you are trying to offer.

Thanks,
    Cuchuflete

about

10. illuminaut Senior Member

San Francisco
    Germany
    This is what I was talking about
    Family Guy is a popular cartoon series, and Buckwheat Boyz the band responsible for that terrible song featured there. Sorry for not providing detailed information about this, but it's not that difficult to google the information.

11. adremd Senior Member

USA

It's a song and doesn't really mean anything. Just a "creative" term people use to describe some of the actions that go on while dancing. If this doesn't make any sense, don't worry. If you are talking about the song then just pretend it's tootsie roll or something.

12. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    None of the links provided here are acceptable to my firewall, so I am completely in the dark regarding all of these US cultural allusions.
    I think perhaps I like it better that way.

13. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Thanks for taking the trouble. Guess I don't watch enough popular cartoons to be up-to-date. No, I really don't think it's reasonable to ask every English student who comes here to google this stuff when the original mention could include a few extra words...but that's just my lazy opinion.

14. Iona Senior Member

English England
    I think that peanut 'butter and jelly' is what the Brits would call peanut butter and jam (as in preserves) and not the U.S 'jello'.. which I believe is Britsh 'jelly' ; the gooyy stuff that quivers on a plate and was served with ice-cream at parties in days gone by (when I was a child)!

15. Iona Senior Member

English England
    sorry -typed too quickly read 'British' and 'gooey'

16. rsweet

rsweet Senior Member

English, North America
    I read Iona's first post quickly and thought she wrote "groovy stuff"! I quite liked thinking of Jello as groovy! :D

17. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

If they are U.S. allusions, they are at best sub-cultural, using "culture" in the broadest sense of the term. ;)

18. illuminaut Senior Member

San Francisco
    Germany
    Family Guy is as much part of American pop culture as the Simpsons are. Like it or not.

19. cj427

cj427 Senior Member

Let's all step slowly away from the "Is Family Guy/South Park/Futurama as good as the Simpsons?" debate before someone gets shivved, shall we?

20. . 1 Senior Member

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    In the cultural sense I must comment that I have never heard of The Family Guy and even when referring to The Simpsons it is generally good manners to give some context.
    Art is difficult for all to see with the same view.

Am I to understand that 'peanut butter and jelly' are the words to a pop song?

21. illuminaut Senior Member

San Francisco
    Germany
    Yes.

22. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I was not commenting on Family Guy, which is a very funny show, in my opinion. I was commenting on the links to urbandictionary definitions of "peanut butter and jelly" that panj was unable to access. I believe you've mixed up two things here.

The urban dictionary definitions of bizarre sexual acts with this nickname were unknown to me until I followed the link (for which I'm sorry - there are some images I'd rather not have in my head!) and I'd imagine are unknown to the vast majority of Americans. Family Guy, on the other hand, is a household name. :)

Someone asked if it was common in America to understand "peanut butter and jelly" by these other definitions, then panj said something about American culture in reference to those definitions. I just wanted to make it clear that they are definitely *not* part of mainstream American culture, from anything I've ever seen, read, or heard.

23. illuminaut Senior Member

San Francisco
    Germany
    Gotcha, I agree.

24. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Because peanut butter and jelly (or "jam" as most Canadians would say it) go together so well as foods, I've often heard it referred to as a way to describe things that complement each other

25. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are well-known aspects of American culinary culture, which is a bit of an oxymoron. The Simpsons are very well known. Until this thread passed before my eyes, I had never heard of Family Guy. I guess we don't have American pop culture in this corner of the world.

This is even better than the usual BE/AE distinctions.

26. Musical Chairs Senior Member

Japan & US, Japanese & English
    Sometimes people say "peanut butter" instead of "BS" during the card game BS.

Then there's a show called PB&J Otter but I'm not sure what peanut butter and jelly has to do with that since I've never watched it. I think it's on Nickelodeon.

27. treetracker2 New Member

English

28. treetracker2 New Member

English
    Oh my gosh guys! I'm 65 years old and I know it means sex. Don't you all listen to modern music?

29. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Can you give us an example, treetracker2?

30. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
  31. treetracker2 New Member

English
    The song is a booty house song by DJ Chipman. Originally believed to be about a purple car (jelly) with brown interior (peanut butter) and wood grain steering and trim (like a baseball bat). "Now here he go" in song was referring to the driver, who was driving the purple car with brown interior and wood grain.

Then it turned into a sex reference by teens and young people. One example is having sex and adding peanut butter to the penis and jelly to the vagina and having a good time. Others say it means pb& jelly is the vagina and baseball bat is the penis. I have heard other meanings but they're much too dirty to post here, as they are in reference to mother nature time. Another is gay sex with peanut butter being brown. You can figure that one out. Jelly being KY. And baseball bat being a penis.

Google "Peanut Butter Jelly time", or go to YouTube and click on the video about Peanut Butter Jelly Time in Iraq, where the soldiers were filmed dancing and making it look like they were being gay with other soldiers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.