pedagogical assistance

Discussion in 'English Only' started by pinkie112233, Oct 4, 2013.

1. pinkie112233 Junior Member

Czech
    Hello, could you help me with a phrase? I can´t find the right expression for the situation in which a teacher goes with their students for a trip that could last several days and during this time is responsible for the children but does not teach. Is it something like "pedagogical assistance"? Thanks.

2. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    I'd say 'pedagogical' makes no sense if there is no teaching involved. But even if there is no classroom-style teaching, the trip is surely meant to be educational so there usually would be teaching involved. However, if the teacher is merely going along as a kind of babysitter, then you could say the teacher is providing supervision.

3. pinkie112233 Junior Member

Czech
    okay, thank you very much!

4. pinkie112233 Junior Member

Czech
    Edinburgher, please, could I have one more question? Is it possible to say the teacher is a tour supervisor then or does it sound more like the job of a guide?

5. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    No. "A tour supervisor" is a specific job title and rather pompous for what the teacher actually does. All the teacher is doing is supervising those on the trip - it is unlikely to be accurate to describe this "trip" as a tour. The best you can say is, "The trip will be for 3 days and Mr Jones, your teacher, will be in charge. You will be pleased to know there are no lessons or homework; Mr Jones will simply be supervising you. Don't do anything criminal or stupid. Thank you."

6. pinkie112233 Junior Member

Czech
    Thank you. And sorry, but just to be sure - Shall I use the word "trip" when it´s a visit to another country (England) for educational purposes when several places are visited? Should I say: "a supervisor on the trip to England"? or "a supervisor on a students´ trip to England"?

7. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    I would not call it "a students' trip". You could call it "a school trip" if you like, so long as it can't be misunderstood to mean the whole school is going. Perhaps "a class trip" is possible, but just plain "a trip" is perfectly fine.

You could say that the teacher is "a supervisor on the trip", or you could say that he is supervising, but I think I like Paul's idea of the teacher being in charge better.
    While there may be no expectation that any homework be done during the trip, as sure as eggs is eggs there will be plenty of homework when they get back home, writing essays about the trip. The pupils may be well-advised to take notes, and maybe photographs.

8. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Yes. If you were members of the school orchestra and were playing at 10 different concert halls all over the UK and to crowds of over 1,000, I might say "tour". If you were visiting nothing but tourist sites, I would say tour... but this is a trip.