Peek or peak?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Paulfromitaly, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Hello,

I've always thought that a possible synonym of "sneak preview" was "sneak peek", but I've found many examples or "sneak peak" although I don't think that peak and peek are in any way synonym..
    Is that an alternative way to spell it?
    Thanks.

2. shibuya Senior Member

Paris
    USA and France
    peak means summit and peek is to look at briefly, I think;-)

3. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I think it's just a mistake on the part of the writer. A sneak peak... what would that be... a crafty mountaintop? :) No, you were right from the start, Paulfromitaly. It's "sneak peek".

4. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    The verb "to peak" means reach a high point or climax of performance. The use of "to peak" as to catch an unofficial or crafty glimpse is not the officially recognised spelling.

5. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    The point is that if you google "sneak peek" you get 1.410.000 hits and you get 1.320.000 for "sneak peak" which is way too much for a misspelt expression, especially if you think that you can find it also on reliable websites..

6. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

That does seem like a large number. I wonder how many are using it deliberately as a play on words? For example, I was surprised to see the huge headline from ABC News saying, "Sneak Peak", but if you read the associated article, the "peak" is the Consumer Electronics Show, the metaphorical "pinnacle" of the year for gadget freaks. The author uses the phrase "sneak peek" in the article and spells it correctly.

I can't explain the number of hits, though. It does seem amazing. Perhaps it's one of those things that will evolve into "Sneak Peak" by sheer numbers of (mis-)use. :)

7. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    Googling "sneak peak" (UK only) gave 8 out of the first 10 as something to do the electronic world, mainly gaming, and one blog. This left one which may be a play on words but I think was a simple mistake.

I think the million plus hits indicate it may be part of a gaming dialect or even dialects. Gamers access and use the web a lot.

8. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    You're right, although for example this site has nothing to do with the electronic world and I'd expect a big recruitment company not to misspell words...:)

take a look

9. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    You would expect all kinds of well-educated people not to mis-spell words, but it happens. Spelling is not considered an important part of education.

10. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    You're right..I'm always impressed by how creative English speakers can be when it comes to spelling :)

11. K.u.r.t Senior Member

London, UK
    Czech
    I think that the English spelling is very unfortunate. It is ambiguous, confusing and serves noone really. But you cannot change the tradition ... There were attempts to simplify English spelling in order to have only one possible way of pronounciation (which is the case with all the other languages I know), but these attempts have always failed.

12. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    The website is "under construction" says the link. It's a spelling mistake by a web designer. I would bet a pound the designer spends some of his (or possibly her) leisure time in this parallel world. The spelling seems to have become normal there.