Pegar los cuernos

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Jacobtm, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Jacobtm Senior Member

NY
    English - New York
    Hola,

Pegar es uno de las palabras que tiene tan mucho definiciónes que no puedo adivinar que significa el frase "Pegar los cuernos". Pueda alguien ayúdame?

2. AntieAnnie Senior Member

USA
    English - USA
    I think that it means to cheat on your significant other, but let's wait to see what someone who really speaks Spanish says...

3. TurbidTongue Senior Member

US
    US English, Euro Portuguese
    Out of context like that, I was thinking it was to slam your head up against something. Give us context!

4. Jacobtm Senior Member

NY
    English - New York
    Un canción, la linea es:
    (Tengo) 30 enanas que me jalen la casqueta
    Mientras duermo y nunca me
    pegan los cuernos

5. AntieAnnie Senior Member

USA
    English - USA
    I hope that my definition was wrong! :)

6. Driven

Driven Senior Member

USA/English
    Sorry, I can't help you with the meaning of the saying, I just wanted to make a couple of tiny corrections. I'm curious also as to the meaning of "pegar los cuernos" so I'll wait for some replies. To me, it sounds like butting heads but that's just a guess.

7. Jacobtm Senior Member

NY
    English - New York
    Gracias por los correcciónes.

También el canción es llamado "Sin Exagerar", pero todo es exagerado.

8. AntieAnnie Senior Member

USA
    English - USA
    Muy interesante -- la letra de Calle 13. Encontré un sitio que tiene la traduccion, pero le falta esta frase. Basado en lo que dijo Turbid Tongue -- I was thinking it was to slam your head up against something -- tal vez significa que aunque haya 30 enanas llevando la casqueta, él esta durmiendo, y ni le despiertan... Tiene sentido??... voy a tratar de decirtelo en inglés porque ni estoy segura que tiene sentido en inglés.

Maybe it means that he's in a casket with 30 dwarves carrying him, and even though he's only asleep, they're carrying him away in a casket and he doesn't even wake up because noone -- not even the action of moving -- knocks him in the head to wake him up...

Mujeres con dos, tres, cuatro, cinco tetas

• Chicks with 2, 3, 4, 5 tits
    30 enanas que me jalen la casqueta

• 30 dwarves to haul my casket (?)
    Mientras duermo y que nunca me peguen los cuernos

• While I'm sleeping …

9. MrMojoRising

MrMojoRising Senior Member

Español de Argentina
    Hola chicos
    en Argentina nosotros decimos "meter los cuernos" that means "to cheat on someone"

EJEMPLO: "30 años de casados!! Y nunca le metiste los cuernos?"

Mi amigo de México me dice que allá se dice "poner los cuernos", pero no "pegar", habría que esperar a alguien de España.

Saludos.

10. MrMojoRising

Español de Argentina
  11. MrMojoRising

Español de Argentina

12. sazabius Junior Member

Español - Spanish
    Ok .. let´s see. I´m a Costarrican -spanish native- and here we have a very close expression saying "Pegar los cachos" fyi cacho = cuerno = horn.

Usually I heard the expresion under the following circunstance: "A is trying to declare his/her love to B this for the very first time. But B declines and reject the love offering. ... So A humilliated and leaving could say "pegué los cachos".

It could be applied the same if A is trying to get something: a good, a favor, money, etc; always receiving a negative answer.

There´s something else... here in Costa Rica, under Pachuco sub languaje cacho = zapato = shoe, so the acción could reseambles the action of stumbling (tropezarse), if you "pega o tropieza con sus zapatos ... you fall down ... figuratively speaking.

Now, the other one "Poner los cachos" here means something else. If A and B are couple (compromised or married), and A got with C in a hidden love affair ... so we could say A is "poniendo los cachos (o los cuernos o la cornamenta) to B. It´s a expresion for infidelity.

Hope to Help
    Sazabius

13. AntieAnnie Senior Member

USA
    English - USA
    Mojo - muchisimas gracias!

14. Lamemoor Senior Member

Perú
    Peru - Spanish
  15. Wreybies Junior Member

Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Spanish (Puerto Rico)
    Pegar/poner cuernos is pretty much universal in the Spanish speaking world to indicate the act of cheating on one's spouse/significant other. I have heard the term used from peoples of various different Spanish speaking countries. Where I live in Puerto Rico, the term is very much the standard manner to express this concept.

I would pose the question as to the actual etymology of the phrase. How does the act of sticking horns or placing horns equate to the idea of infidelity?

Reinaldo

16. Kraken

Kraken Senior Member

Valladolid (España)
    Castellano (Español)
    Hola a todos, y bienvenido Wreybies.

En España se dice poner los cuernos. De pegar los cuernos, nada... hasta donde yo sé, al menos.
    De hecho, no lo había oído en toda mi vida.

;)

17. E. Soto Senior Member

Spanish
    Kraken, sí en mi país decimos: pegar cuernos = to cheat on someone.

18. Kraken

Kraken Senior Member

Valladolid (España)
    Castellano (Español)
    Hola, E. Soto.

Yo no digo que en otros países no se diga, ni que no se diga en español: he dicho que en España no (hasta donde yo sé).

;)

19. Wreybies Junior Member

Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Spanish (Puerto Rico)
    Donde vivo yo en Puerto Rico pegar cuernos es mas comun. La lengua siempre se está desarrollando para representar la cultura que hace uso de ella. Ésa es su belleza. ;)

20. anachevere Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    "Poner los cuernos" is to cheat one's husband, wife, girl/boyfriend... I never heard "pegar los cuernos" in Spain but it makes sense to me.

21. Wreybies Junior Member

Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Spanish (Puerto Rico)
    @ Kraken

¡Perdóneme por favor por no saludarle! Hola. :)

22. Kraken

Kraken Senior Member

Valladolid (España)
    Castellano (Español)
    No hay nada que perdonar.
    ;)