pensamiento crítico de izquierda de la década de 1970

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by panderetita1986, Jan 23, 2008.

1. panderetita1986

panderetita1986 Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    Hello there! I need to translate this expression: "el surgimiento del pensamiento crítico de izquierda de la década de 1970". This were my tries: "the emergence of the left critical thought of the 1970’s decade", or "the rise of the left critical thought of the 1970’s decade".
    I'd like to avoid so many "ofs", and in this particular case I don't want to change the last one by an "in". What do you suggest? Maybe: "... the 1970's decade left critical thought"? Does it already look well with these "ofs"?
    Thanks a lot...

2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    The surge / boom in left-wing critical thought / thinking in the 1970s.

3. panderetita1986

Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    Thank you, Chris. Whether anyone else has other suggestions please post them.

Another question: can't I use only "left" as an adjective? Should I always say "left-wing"? Because that sounds like -for instance- "the left wing of the Labor Party". I mean that it sounds like the left group within a bigger organization or group that may also have a right wing. I know in this case we are using "left-wing" as an adjective, but it still sounds weird to me. Perhaps I should just get used to it! What do you think?

4. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    Some people do use "left" as an adjective, but it's not standard. "Left-wing" is better, and there is no implication that it refers to part of a larger organization or group.

5. panderetita1986

Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    Thank you very much, Chris!