1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

People that talk (Russian participle)

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by ChicoAnimado, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ChicoAnimado Senior Member

Hebrew
    Hello everybody.

The full sentence is:

Policemen should not deal with people that talk on their cell phones in cinema halls.

It's a part of a broader context from a bill about letting the police be in charge of the order in public places like concert halls, cinema halls, etc..

I'd like to make use of the participle and wanted to know if it's written right.

While I know it could be say like this: Полицейские не должны иметь дело с людьми которыми говорят на своих сотовых телефонах в кинозалах, I wanted to make a use of the participle for the sake of practice and came up with: Полицейские не должны иметь дело с говоря́щими на своих сотовых телефонах в кинозалах людьми.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. willem81 Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Иметь дело does not seem a very good choice here, because in this context it has the meaning of to cooperate. Does the sentence mean that policemen should not arrest those who talk on phone and all that?
    If my guess is right, I would rephrase the sentence as follows:
    Действия полиции не должны распространяться на людей, разговаривающих по мобильному в кинозалах.

3. ChicoAnimado Senior Member

Hebrew
    Thanks for clearing that up.

I sometimes see the participles coming before the noun, like this for example:
    ...на разговаривающих по мобильному в кинозалах людей.

In which occasions can that be used?

4. willem81 Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    You can use that as well, it's quite correct. If the participle goes after the noun, it must be separated with comma, like in my previous post. If it goes before the noun, no comma is needed.

5. ChicoAnimado Senior Member

Hebrew
    Я очень благодарю вас :)

6. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    Difficult to say in general, but here the difference was that your sentence, when saying something about the police, related what it said to the people (людей), while willem's corrected version related what was about the police to the attribute of these people (разговаривающих по мобильному в кинозалах). This is something having to do with causality: in the first case, the reason is who these people are, in the second case, the reason is what these people do. You obviously meant the second.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  7. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    You can put the participle up front if you want, but keep in mind that the phrase becomes more difficult to comprehend when the defining word and its master word are too far apart.