1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

peppercini vs. banana pepper

Discussion in 'English Only' started by perpend, Nov 8, 2013.

1. perpend Senior Member

American English
    When you go to XXX Sandwich Establishment, do you point and say: "peppercini" or "banana pepper".

Are these both the same?

2. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    I'm afraid I've never heard of either.

3. perpend Senior Member

American English
    Hi, cyberpendant. These are condiments you ask for on your sandwiches, so to speak! Thanks

EDIT: They're not so much condiments, but more like "toppings".

EXAMPLE: Can I please get tomato, onion, peppercini/banana pepper on that?

4. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Banana peppers and peperoncini are actually not the same. If they're not labelled, I say "I'll have some of those." as the staff will inevitably say that they are something else.

5. perpend Senior Member

American English
    Ahhh ... the plot thickens. I never knew the spelling but just have heard it.

"peperoncini"

Thanks, myridon.

People at this "establishment" do point to them and say "banana peppers".

6. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

I think peperoncini is a variety of banana pepper. Banana pepper is the more general term, at least in my lexicon, and it's the one I'd use most of the time. I probably would use peperoncini only in an Italian restaurant or some other establishment where they are routinely called peperoncini.

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but what is the plural of peperoncini? Is it just peperoncinis? That's how I say it, but that doesn't mean I'm right.

7. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    The singular of peperoncini is peperoncino.:rolleyes:

8. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    I think of peperoncini as small green mildly-hot Italian peppers, but there are several kinds of banana peppers, usually larger than peperoncini: fiery hot ones, very mild ones, in-between ones, and ones that are hotter at one end than at the other. There are red ones, yellow ones, and green ones. Home grown banana peppers I call "surprise" peppers because their "temperature" depends on the whims of the bees that have visited the parent plants.

9. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Objection! Facts not in evidence! It seems you have some particular place in mind.
    If the people in front of me in line say X and get the thing I want, I will say X even if I think they're Y.
    Depending on the establishment and the part of the country you're in and how many other "pepper-like" toppings they have, you might have better luck asking for the peppers, the mild peppers, the yellow peppers, the pepper rings, ... Pointing at "those" is the only sure thing.

10. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    I also believe they are two different things. Peperoncini in the original Italian is a general term used to mean (hot) peppers of any colour (what we call chili peppers in the UK). What you call banana peppers are not called peperoncini in Italian: they are too mild and too big to come under that heading.;)

11. perpend Senior Member

American English
    Brilliant! I know I could have researched some of this myself, but the personal input paints a much more valuable picture regarding this topic. Thanks everyone!

12. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    Hullo, sdgraham.

Very true: The singular of peperoncini is peperoncino.:rolleyes:
    Which reminds me of spaghetti (plural in Italian, but spaghetto if I'm referring to one) and lasagne (similarly plural in italian: no lasagna, please).

GS :)