1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

"Per" meaning "in accordance with"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by psaulm119, Mar 3, 2012.

1. psaulm119 New Member

USA, English
    Every so often I read in a document (usually bureaucratic, from some office) the Latin word "per" used as meaning "in accordance with." I looked in the dictionary linked to at the top of this forum, and sure enough this was one of the defined uses (I think the Oxford Concise was the reference).

Every time I see this in a document written by someone else, it strikes me as a pedantic way to sound official, by using Latin terminology--it produces the same impression as hearing someone say "between he and I."

But I have to say, I love typing it myself, because I can't think of a more concise way to express that simple little thought. I just sent an email that had the following sentences in it:

Yes, Leticia, that topic is just fine.
    Do keep in mind that (per the syllabus) essays that have already been written or turned in are not allowed--it has to be a new work.

So how do others find per as used in the above sense? Perhaps my aversion to it is that I haven't come across it nearly as often, as with other meanings of the term...

2. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    I see "Per" as "according to" just about everywhere, and just about every other day.
    E-mails are teaming with it.
    "As per our conversation / agreement", "as per the datasheet specifications" etc etc etc.....etc....are all over the places.
    Whether we like it or not, it's everywhere. It is even more popular than "streamline". :) And "streamline" is popular.

3. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    I find "per" unobjectionable in general (in stark contrast to "between he and I" and "per say" :eek: ). It sounds more management-speak or officialese than everyday-speak.
    "As per our conversation yesterday, you can watch television after completion of your homework assignment":cross:
    "Sale will be finalized after the goods have been inspected by buyer per S.O.P 1384.1(a)":tick:

4. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    "As per our wedding vows I hereby solemnly swear to love and cherish 'till ..."

5. JulianStuart

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    (Would that be 'til or till?)
    :D

6. prr Senior Member

English--USA
    Actually, I'm ok with per se (as long as it is spelled and used correctly). It is more concise than "in and of itself," or any other phrase I can think of that would mean the same thing. Gotta say I've never seen it spelled "per say," if that was what you were referring to. That​ would drive me crazy.

7. JulianStuart

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Indeed it was what I was referring to! (Spelled "per say" :eek:) I am fine with the expression per se, but it was clear the writer had never seen it written, only heard it spoken. (Akin to the converse where someone pronounced albeit as all bite :D)

8. Lucky3 Junior Member

India
    Hindi & English
    Hi,

Is "in accordance" correct in the given sentence and context:

I provided materials to my students in accordance with their course needs/ as per their couse needs.

Thanks in advance :)