"per our conversation"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by drei_lengua, Mar 7, 2006.

1. drei_lengua

drei_lengua Senior Member

Hello everyone,

"Per our conversation, I am sending all of the documents." The context of this sentence is having talked to someone on the phone and agreeing to send documents later on in the day to that person.

I hear this word "per" in this context quite often. I have heard that this usage is considered wrong. What is you all's opinion?

2. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    It's tolerable, as a substitute for "in accord with".
    What is intolerable, for me at least, is that common and meaningless mangling of English, "...as per".
  3. Lancearoni Senior Member

Dallas, Texas
    USA - English
    I hope it's not wrong, I use it quite often at work! It's a quick way to get your point across when you're really busy.

You may also hear some people say, "As per our conversation..."
  4. CatStar Senior Member

English, Ireland
    Sounds really strange to me to be honest, but I presume it's a latin term and they do have a tendency to turn up in the strangest places! in this context I would definitely think it sounds better to say regarding or following on from or something like that...but i ain't no expert!
  5. cherry blossom tree New Member

It's certainly understandable. It is probably mostly used in an office/work environment, rather than between friends.
  6. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    I also use "In pursuant to our conversation," but that is a bit formal.

The problem with the general construct of "Per our conversation, I am sending all documents" is you are not specifying something specifically spoken in the conversation, which the dependent clause demands.

You might say instead: Per our agreement, Per the results of our conversation, etc. These are also stilted and more formal, but the construction is more "correct."

Edit: An additional thought.

You might also say something to the effect of:

In follow-up to our conversation, I am herewith enclosing xxxx
  7. drei_lengua

drei_lengua Senior Member

Per the posts to this thread, I am sending my thanks to everyone. :D

8. In my days of office work I would often write -

'Further to our recent telephone conversation, I now have pleasure in enclosing . . . . . . . '

Very English English.
    We're funny that way!

La Reine V
  9. maxiogee Banned

I'd be a bit more casual and say "As I promised when we spoke, I am enclosing......."

"As per...." is terribly business-ese.
  10. grumpus Senior Member

San Diego, CA
    English U.S.

Hi drei_lengua et al.,

I don't think it's wrong per say, but it definitely sounds like American "business speak" Uuuggggh.

11. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    Gargl!!! I think the 'as per' bug has attacked your sample, and left an extraneous word...
  12. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    Instead of "per" try "according to" {I am sending all of the documents according to your request}. Or even better {I am sending all of the documents as you requested}.
  13. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    That's how I do it. I wouldn't use per.
  14. Maxiogee,

Such casual words, used in a business letter, would have been a sackable offence!

15. maxiogee Banned

Yes indeed, remind me how long ago that was? :D
    I think it is much more acceptable to use the more familiar tone nowadays.
  16. All I'm prepared to reveal is that the quill pen was still in use.;)

I often receive business letters written in the 'old fashioned' style. Much better in my opinion. Let's keep standards high!

17. maxiogee Banned

I blame the invention of the portable typewriter for the decline in business-ese.
  18. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    Per is latin and that's why it's used in many languages, even in Finnish.

The only latin expression that we avoid using is per se because in Finnish 'perse' means a**.
  19. rsweet

rsweet Senior Member

English, North America
    "Per" like a lot of Latin words is used mostly by lawyers. My personal opinion is that the legal profession encourages any language that sounds like flies droning in someone's ears. Business-speak does this, too. I rest my case! ;)
  20. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    Never mix business with pleasure, Your Worship.
  21. maxiogee Banned

Maybe pleasure was her business!
  22. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    Harrrrumph! Per the silly old rulebook, we are supposed to stay reasonably close to the topic.

Perpetrators of perigrinations to perverted perturbations will be persecuted.

Per the persnickety mgmt.
    (perhaps :D)

23. This is getting a bit chatty, o flowing one!

I can see Panj's digit poised over the delete button. I think Cuchu is lurking around in this thread too. Between the two of them we could be blown into cyberspace. We'll all be awfully wet if you get blown up, River.

As Maxiogee said, maybe pleasure was my business. ;) Or business was my pleasure.

Per se, it's been a pleasure. Thank you. (Just to keep on topic - I've seen the threat from Cuchu.)

La Reine V

24. Thank you for your loyal custom over the years, Maxiogee. One of my best! :D

No more chat, per se,