1. Pifote Junior Member

How to translate "perder el norte" into English ?

The context: La dirección de la organización había perdido el norte

Surely there are very expressive phrases from marine and naval traditions

Thanks for the help

2. coquita Senior Member

Far, far away from home...
    Español (Argentina)
    Según el diccionario de WR:

♦ Locuciones: perder el norte, to lose one's bearings o to be at a loss (about what to do): ha perdido el norte, ya no sabe qué hacer, he's lost his bearings, he doesn't know how to go on

Saludos :)
  3. mijoch Banned

British English
    Also------"go adrift".

4. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
  5. Pifote Junior Member

Many thanks indeed, Coquita, Mijoch and Aztlaniano, you have given me a hard job to choose from your execellent suggestions
  6. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Otra sugerencia: they had lost their compass.
  7. tomasr Junior Member

English - United States
    "Lost at sea" or "adrift" would work if you are looking for a maritime allusion. "Lost his bearings" or "lost his way" also work, and relate to navigation. I've never heard anyone say "lost their compass," though I suppose it could work if you add some context around it (for example, "Without his trusted advisor, it was as though he had lost his compass for navigating life.")
  8. Pifote Junior Member

Thank you, Outsider, I like that.
  9. MacAnna Junior Member

Paris, France
    Hello, y'all!

I'd say "The company's management had lost sight of (their objectives?)", or "was disorientated".

My 2c! :(
  10. Pifote Junior Member

That is very helpful, set things in their place. Many thanks, TomasR
  11. Adolfo Afogutu

Adolfo Afogutu Senior Member

Perdió la brújula también existe en español, con significado similar a perder el norte.
  12. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    I've come across it many times, although usually with "moral" in front of "compass", e.g. "he's lost his moral compass".
  13. tomasr Junior Member

English - United States
    Moral compass, yes, but not just a compass. And, as you mention, that would be used in a different context. You could say that a company committing fraud has lost its moral compass (Enron, investment banks), but you wouldn't say that about a company that just didn't have a clear strategy or was making costly mistakes (airline companies, for example).