1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

periodonto de protección/inserción

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by Fernita, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Fernita

Fernita Moderada-mente

Buenos Aires-Argentina
    castellano de Argentina.
    Hola a todos.
    Necesito ayuda para traducir lo siguiente, del español al inglés:

"la periodontitis que afecta en la cavidad oral el periodonto de protección constituído por el epitelio y el tejido conectivo gingival y el periodonto de inserción que forman el ligamento periodontal, el cemento de la raíz y el hueso alveolar, constituye la sexta complicación de diabetes con un coeficiente de probabilidades (odds ratio) de 2.32."

My attempt:
    The periodontitis that affects in the oral cavity the periodontium protectionis/periodontal protection?? composed of the epithelium and the gingival connective tissue, and the periodontium insertionis/periodontal insertation??, which form the periodontal ligament, the root cementum (or root cement) and the alveolar bone, is/constitutes the sixth complication of diabetes with a 2.32 odds ratio.

Muchas gracias por cualquier sugerencia y corrección en cuanto a la redacción.
    :)

2. speedier

speedier Senior Member

Hi Fernita,

Now I know why all my teeth have fallen out :D

Periodontium image - Periodontal ligament

Description – periodontal ligament
    From which there is this:

The periodontal ligament ……… comprises collagen fibres which are embedded as Sharpey's fibres in the root cementum and the alveolar bone, together with the blood supply and connective tissue ground substance which provide the other key elements to the supporting mechanism.

Discusses the periodontal insertion
    From which you will find this in the fourth paragraph under bacterial infection:
    Ulceronecrotic periodontitis presents with necrosis of soft tissues and destruction of the bone and periodontal insertion.

Here's another attempt, which still doesn't quite make sense, but I hope it helps a little:

in the oral cavity the periodontitis that affects the periodontal protection, comprising the epithelium and the gingival connective tissue and the periodontal insertion which forms the periodontal ligament, the root cementum and the alveolar bone, constitutes the sixth complication of diabetes with a probability coefficient of 2.32.

3. Fernita

Fernita Moderada-mente

Buenos Aires-Argentina
    castellano de Argentina.
    Wow, thanks Speedier!
    You've made me laugh out loud!

It will take me a few minutes to read the useful links you've found.
    Thanks again!!!!
    :)

4. speedier

speedier Senior Member

Hi Fernita,

Here's yet another link The sixth complication of diabetes which suggests that it would be better written as follows:

The periodontitis in the oral cavity that affects the periodontal protection, comprising the epithelium and the gingival connective tissue and the periodontal insertion which forms the periodontal ligament, the root cementum and the alveolar bone, may be attributed as the sixth complication of diabetes with a probability coefficient of 2.32.

5. Fernita

Fernita Moderada-mente

Buenos Aires-Argentina
    castellano de Argentina.
    Could I say "...is attributed as the sixth..."?

I can't post the name of the doctor that considers that this is the sixth complication of diabetes. He's sure about it. That's why I thought that "may be attributed" doesn't reflect what he thinks.
    What do you think about it?

6. speedier

speedier Senior Member

I think so Fernita, and it fits better with the original.