1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Periody

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Paulfromitaly, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Hello,

An American friend of mine often tells me that she feels "periody", namely that she's cranky and very sensitive because of PMS.

Is it just a word she made up, since I can't find it in any dictionary?
    Would a native speaker understand what she means by "periody", out of context?

Thank you

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I've never heard that one before, Paul. I sure couldn't find any support for it in any reputable dictionary that I have access to. I'd likely understand the word in context, but I wouldn't have a clue what it meant if somebody were to introduce it without alerting me that we were talking about menstruation.

3. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I don't think the word actually exists, but yes, I'd say that 50% of the English-speaking world would definitely understand it. I knew what it meant as soon as I saw your thread title:).

4. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    Yep, what Loob said :)

5. envie de voyager Senior Member

Niagara Falls, Canada
    english-canadian
    To tell you the truth, when I saw the thread title, I assumed the thread was going to be about clothing. For instance, if a woman was wearing a hobble skirt and a bobbed hair-do, she would look like a flapper from the roaring twenties period... she would be dressed "periody". I suppose I must be one of the 50% that didn't instantly understand the intended meaning.:D

6. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Thank you :)
    Although she definitely made it up, I must say it does convey the moody/cranky/sensitive/tetchy idea quite well, as long as it's put in a context.

7. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Ah, well, you would be, envie. I've just looked at the gender part of your profile:).

8. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    In the days when I studied population statistics, in most countries there were 107 female babies born for every 100 male ones, nevertheless I think I got the point. They may have changed all that now, of course.

I reckon I, on the wrong side of the sex barrier, would understand what was meant very well, but I don't think I've ever heard the expression.

9. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I think your friend coined "periody" on the basis of words like "flu-y". It's not an "official" word, but very expressive.