1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Perito contable

Discussion in 'Financial Terms' started by sexaholic69, Mar 15, 2006.

1. sexaholic69 New Member

Spanish Argentina
    Very good morning. My query is the following: What's the english for perito contable? Would you say accountance expert? Is there a more formal concept? Thank you.
    Best regards,
    Florencia.

2. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    An accounting expert is called a "Certified Public Accountant" (CPA)
    (This in an accountant who has passed the countrywide exam to become certified as an expert.)

En Puerto Rico ese profesional se le dice: "Contador Público Autorizado (CPA)

3. johnnyneuro

johnnyneuro Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    England - English
    Hola sexaholic69 (¡Que gracioso este sobrenombre!):

Estoy de acuerdo con "accountacy expert", per hoy día nos encanta el nombre "consultant" - entonces, "accountancy consultant".

John

4. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    En todo caso, sería: "Accounting Consultant"

5. johnnyneuro

Cambridge, UK
    England - English
    Hmmm...in UK-English I would say "accountancy consultant"..."accounting consultant" sounds a bit too American ;)

John

6. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    You're right, it's American English.

7. sexaholic69 New Member

Spanish Argentina
    Muchas gracias a todos por sus respuestas, han sido de gran ayuda, y disculpen mi nick, peor no se me ocurria otro que no existiera!!!
    Saludos

8. sexaholic69 New Member

Spanish Argentina
    Hello, como dirian "suplencia por maternidad"? Muchas gracias!

9. johnnyneuro

Cambridge, UK
    England - English
    Es un hilo nuevo, ¿no?

Pero bueno...literalmente es "maternity suppliment", aunque prefiero "maternity benefits".

John

10. acowintheweb

acowintheweb Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish - Spain
    a propósito de "perito contable"
    puede que esté muy desemcaminada, pero ....
    what about "accounting adjuster" ?

please, thought the good responses above, correct me!

11. Sherlockat

Sherlockat Senior Member

Australia
    Castilian (Patagonian)
    Although this thread is rather old, I reckon that the answer it's not satisfactory at all.

The CPA term is only a way to say "accountant" (of course with a high qualification). In fact, "everyone" who is an accountant "can" get a CPA status (Please, don't get the wrong idea of my comment.)

"Perito Contable" is very close to "Forensic Accountant" who generally has the CFE certification (at least in USA), but strictly speaking a "Perito Contable" is a kind of Forensic Accountant. The Forensic Accountant status is quite hard to get. Not everyone can get it easily (that's why not everyone can get such a certification and not everyone (for example) can be a G-man who deal with white collar crimes). To be a Forensic Accountant you need to have a high level of skill in Criminology, Accounting, Auditing, Fraud, Taxation, legal training, etc.

So, "Perito Contable" in many Latam countries is known as "Experto Contable". In English language, it could be translated as Adept at Accounting. (NB: Adept doesn't mean "adepto")

12. Tegui Junior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    Sherlockat, thank you for your answer. It's thorough, clear, and to the point. Very good contribution to the thread!

13. Sherlockat

Sherlockat Senior Member

Australia
    Castilian (Patagonian)
    Doing some research and reading some academic papers and books, I drew the conclusion that "Perito Contable" is known as per most international forensic literature as a "Financial Forensic Professional". For two basic grounds:

Financial forensics is the application of financial principles and theories to facts or hypotheses at issue in a legal dispute and consists of two primary functions:

1.Litigation advisory services, which recognizes the role of the financial forensic professional as an expert or consultant;

2.Investigative services, which makes use of the financial forensic professional’s skills and may or may not lead to courtroom testimony.

Source: [ISBN: 9780470437742, page 8]

14. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    In AmEng and in legal circles, I suspect that "Perito Contable" would mean "accounting expert" with "expert" in legal circles connoting someone who will be an expert witness in litigation, or at least is prepared to testify as an expert as to his or her findings as an accountant. If two US lawyers are talking about litigation, and one says "I've hired an accounting expert," the meaning is that he has hired someone who is trained in accounting and who would qualify to testify as an expert (and thus be permitted to offer opinions) about accounting matters in the case.

Of course, context is everything when translating so it depends on the context for a proper translation.

I would say "accounting consultant" sounds a bit too British. :p We generally would not use the term "consultant" in this context.